Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Stage Profiles

Hi I am new to this although I did add to another mems post oncebut it was quite an old discussion so I think many missed it.

Can anyone clarify to me whether it is statutory for a pre-school which is not attached to a school but is partly funded by the new opportunities fund and part private to fill in the F.S.Profiles.

I am new to being a manager of this setting and the last setting i worked towards the early learning goals (which is extremely similar and was reg with ofsted) but we didint fill in these profiles......I do not know what to do with them and its the 2nd half of summer term - took over in march pre school in a bit of disarray.....

Hi Trish

The profiles are for Reception age children only (although nursery can add to the profile for the summer term for those children entering the next cohort i.e those in Nursery now can be added to profile assessments for the 2005/06 year group).

The booklets themselves are not statutory but using the profile scale points to assess children in Reception are.

Hope this clarifies things

Hi Trish

The profiles are for Reception age children only (although nursery can add to the profile for the summer term for those children entering the next cohort i.e those in Nursery now can be added to profile assessments for the 2005/06 year group).

The booklets themselves are not statutory but using the profile scale points to assess children in Reception are.

Hope this clarifies things

32971[/snapback]

sorry.....but i did say i was new at this....

Can you clarify..I have the different colour columns and the stepping stones toward the end of the foundation stage ...Do i need to do any of this or can i just work with the elgs

Hi Trish

When you say profiles I'm assuming that you probably don't mean the Foundation Stage Profile booklets provided by the QCA but some other form of profile. If this is the case has it been devised by your pre-school or by your local Early Years Partnership?

In our nursery (which is attached to a school) we've devised our own profiles with most of the stepping stone statements on. We highlight the statements when we think the children have achieved them, using different colours for each term to show progression. These are passed on to the Reception teachers, if the children are going to a different school we complete the LEA pre-school transfer document which has been devised by the Early Years Partnership.

None of our children are working in the ELGs most are in the yellow or blue level with maybe a couple working in green in a few areas

Hope this is helpful - not sure it makes sense now I've read it through!!

I am sure that i am being a bit thick but they are a3 sheets sometimes referred to as 'record of acheivement' I took over in march and worked in a different LEA i hadnt sen these before. there are different clour cloumns as you mentioned and from what i can gather we photocapy one for each child and just date each stepping stone. The previous manager filled in tamporarily and is a teacher she referred each activity to the qca foundation stage profile handbook (a4 folder free from qca with pink and white)

I think that I am confusing myself and prob every one else- I want to get it right but I am not sure that I am asking the right questions

can anyone clarify..........please :o

As Angela says you are probably using a form of recording childrens progress which is produced by the area yu work in or by the pre-school themselves.

we all have to record the childrens progress while they are with us to inform the planning and show how their next steps of learning will be reached or achieved. also to record the level of develpoment they may be achieving. Ofsted look for this during inspections and it is required to record achievements / progress for any children which are funded by education grants.

pre-schools work towards the stepping stones which probably are the coloured columns you refer to not Elgs which are used in reception. It is better to work towards these as the children have to cover these to achieve the elgs.

Most pre-schools develop thier own method of recording which is appropriate to the setting. providing it shows how your children are progressing against the stepping stones this can be in many different forms.

we developed our own format over several years until we have one all staff can work with and are able to contribute to.

sounds like the one you have inherited is very like Angelas, and the one our Early Years team have produced.

The idea is to highlight and date any areas the child has achieved so you then know what to set as a target for each child next term. we aslo add our own observations ffrom watching the children play and from focus activites to use as evidence for what the child has achieved.

If you really are confused with the method currently in use perhaps you need to ask the LEA for help in deciphering them, or it may be possible to change them at a suitable time to a method that you find more friendly and helpful.

Ther is no right and wrong way of recording at this stage but only what is useful and easy to understand for all who will have to use it.

If you have stepping stones listed it is usually only a easy format of the QCA book so I do not see any need to Xref Again.

we have all staff do the recording and they fill in the profiles/books for thier key children and relate the information abck to the parents at tregular intervals. All settings are different.

Any records you keep should be available for the parent to read, and they should be aware that you are completing them, our registration form asks for permission to take observations.

This may all be as clear as mud, but it may help

Inge

sorry just meant to say the columns if coloured are in progression so first is yellow or gold, then blu and lastly green before the elgs which some areas add aat the bottom, and children usually progress though them (although this is only in theory, we all know they progressa t differnt rates and we have some achiveing green areas befor blue ones!!)

Ypu do not say what method you were using before> was it easier?

Inge

Just want to say that this forum is fantastic, sometimes feel a bit isolated but this is great sharing ideas and experiences.

Thanks to Inge. We had achecklist at prev setting but it wasnt as involved as this it was also in a different Lea which doesnt according to my old work colleague ask for the for stepping stones as laid out in the fsp but just as long as you are aiming to cover all criteria leading to elgs.

So you say that just so long as i am working towards stepping stones i can use whichever format i like/

We have keyworker books should I pass these on to yhe parent at the end or the school. What other vinfo should I be recording for end of term or for ofsted.

Sorry for all questions but i thought i knew and now ive been told so many other things that i am not sure??

THankyou everyone.

You can use what ever form of recording works.

we record in profiles which will proabably be the same thing as a keyworker book, what the child has achieved, this can be in a format suitable to you, most leas suggest steppimg stones in them and have an area for spontaneous observations, we use a sticker system where all staff do observations and the keyworker sticks them into thi childs profile, some use post it notes.

also should be a way of recording a target or next step for the child, we do review ours half termly and planning is then used to incorporate these.

Ofsted have been happy with this and said it is detailed enough.

Have included an attachment of the one our lea produce for our area. it is printed off and made up as a book with the space for observations targets etc facing the stepping stones.

All areas work differently but we also ahve to complete a transfer to school form when children move to school at this time of year.

Inge

Edited by Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)