Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Meeting

Hi all

Well did my presentation. Have now left them talking about it. Think if it does go ahead they want to see who else maybe interested in it, they want to ask the opinion of all the parents, and they wanted toknow how much i would be willing to pay for it!!!??? Said I didnt think i could discuss it then and there. They wanted to know what they as parents would get out of it considering it would mean an increase in fees, what the fees would be, would there be any changes in booking procedures, why i had suddenly decided to do this, how would i fit into it all, who would go about dissolving the charity, talking to the head etc as it couldnt be me. Good thing was that there is a committee member that is on the board of govenors so she will probably feed back to them also about my proposal. I said i thought that it was a good idea that they consider it as an option for club and not just because it was me. It will all be minuted so that in months/years ahead if it doesnt go through then no-one can say it wasnt looked into or it maybe something that future committees can consider.

One snippet of info is that years ago someone tried to do it and it was declined.

So nothing else i can do now except wait and see. Will let you know.

Have just got the call...they are all generally positive but dont want to do the lots of work that it would entail ie seeing head, putting to parents, having to put out to tender, decide etc, dissolve the charity. Instead they have made me an offer to be an executive manager ie do all the finances, bookings, payroll, flexible hours, responsible for staff. ofsted for a wage approx £18k!!! hmmm...not sure that was what i had in mind. The committee would be in the background. My initial feeling is "no". It wasnt a job i was after.

What do you think?

My advice would be to follow your instincts. If you're not looking for that kind of job then I would decline and walk away. One thing I would query - can they really afford to pay you £18,000 a year to do this mammoth job, given what you've said previously? How secure would your position be? Would they want you to become the registered person? How much in the background would they be? I'm deliberately asking questions rather than giving you my opinion as to what you should do - this needs careful thinking!

Make sure you get their decision in writing and if you decide to go ahead, make sure you get the job description and so on agreed! Finally, will they be advertising this vacancy, drawing up shortlists for interview and so on? :o

Hi Maz

You have asked all the questions i have been asking myself! How could they afford that especially as there wasnt that much profit made this year :o I think it is just an easier option for them to consider.

I love my pre-school job and think i would only change that if there was the option of being my own boss (I know must be mad!). Where would an exec manager job end and the committee start?

So..will think it over, see if there are any other developments in the next week or so and then let them know my decision at the next meeting in 2 weeks...think it will be thanks but no thanks!

Edited by marley

Guest jenpercy
Hi Maz

You have asked all the questions i have been asking myself! How could they afford that especially as there wasnt that much profit made this year :o I think it is just an easier option for them to consider.

I love my pre-school job and think i would only change that if there was the option of being my own boss (I know must be mad!). Where would an exec manager job end and the committee start?

So..will think it over, see if there are any other developments in the next week or so and then let them know my decision at the next meeting in 2 weeks...think it will be thanks but no thanks!

I don't think that there is that much to do to close a charity - but you should look into that. My understanding is (and I've done this) that the Committee votes itself out and then the chair (and the Treasurer submit accounts.) there should be a provision for this in your constitution, but the charities commission, and the PPLA can offer advice.

you should ask all the parents but can do this in the form of notice of an extraordinary general meeting.

I think that you are right not to want the job. You would have to find a new chair - (and a new committee) on a regular basis and although they might rubber stamp your decisions, legally the Chair would have the power, and you would also still have all those commitee meetings.

As I said before, I don't understand all this stuff about paying for it. You should counter by asking who you would be paying!!

One thing that I am curious about is - have you actually been OFSTEDed yet. It seems as if there have been a lot of things going on that OFSTED would not have been happy with and I know that you have had problems getting the committee to see reason.

Hang on....I thought you wre chair. How can they do that. Who would be chair? you would need to resign first

Hi Jen

Yes I am chair and so would not be able to have anything to do with dissolution or voting as conflct of interest. However no-one else would step up to being chair as they all think too much work. One committee member thinks by law it has to go to tender and the rest dont want to be involved in having to sort all that out.Think crunch time will be next april when we have agm and quite a few will be standing down (including myself). Perhaps after that I could re-submit???

The thing that gets me is that deep down i think they all think thats it a good idea so long as it was me that got the club (and not someone else) and that it was me doing the work to speak to head, parents, dissolving etc

Not been OFSTED for 5 and half years! Manager had suitable person interview last month and passed. I have no worries about OFSTED coming into inspect as I think we are all up to date and now would be a good time as any! Just had problems with staff not getting along but think thats it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)