Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ba (hons) Early Years Practice

Hi everyone

I have been dropping into this forum for a couple of years, but have not posted often. Just after a bit of advice really. I have decided to do my dissertation on the transition from reception to year one as I am involved in both classes. I have thought of looking at play and how it can help to ease the transition, and the case for continuing the eyfs into yr1 but am unsure as to which angle to take after that.....any advice or other ideas greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Lou :o

There's a lot of information about transitions floating about at the moment, and I think this would be an interesting area to study. If you were going to look at the role of play in easing transitions, would you need to be able to compare and contrast the different approaches taken by schools (ie play based and non-play based) or would you just concentrate on one setting showing how they adopt a successful play-based approach.

I'd really like to do a comparison of children who are going into reception classes age 4 and those who are going in aged nearly 5. :o

Thanks for your reply...I was thinking of comparing the oldest children in the class against the youngest to see if the younger ones dealt less well with the transition, hence strengthening the case for a play based approach?!?! Not sure if that makes sense!

Am also interested in looking at the issue of transition from the parents point of view...did they feel as informed about this transition compared to the transition into reception, would they like more info etc .... hopefully if they said they wanted more info, I would then be able to tie this in. My thinking is that if the parents feel fully informed, then they are more able to guide and reassure their children through the process, therefore helping the transition from their end as well.

Not sure, think I am just rambling a bit really, but really need to bounce my ideas off someone really...any other ideas gratefully received!!

Thanks

Lou x

I did my BA dissertation on transition from reception to year 1. My angle was to research whether schools were implementing the recommendations of the NFER and Ofsted research. I thought this would be more relevant than suggesting how to make transitions easier as this research has already been carrried out.

For my research, I read the reports of Ofsted and NFER and various other literature into the transition from YR-Y1. I looked at their recommendations then went into 3 different types of schools and researched whether they had followed the recommendations made.

For my evidence, I interviewed the reception/year 1 teachers, I made a parent questionnaire and child questionnaire, I looked at provision in the YR and Y1 classes. To extend my research, I put a practitioner questionnaire to yr and y1 teachers on this forum and received some excellent replies. (Thanks FSF people!)

I did comparisons of the views of the older and younger children in the classes and it wasn't conclusive that the younger children were struggling with the transition more than the older children.

I did have recommendations that schools need to more to keep parents informed of the transition. This was implemented well in one school as it was 3 form entry whereas the 1 form entry schools didn't really do much for parents.

I do have lots of documents/literature etc. saved on my computer about transition. I can send you some if you PM me with your email.

Good luck!

Edited by millhill

Hi Millhill

Thanks for replying, your dissertation sounds interesting. I like the fact that you can make specific comparisons between the schools....something I've found hard to get my head round is how I can use the info I collect to 'prove' a theory but i can see here how you do it!

I have begun to collect various reports and articles etc and I would absolutely love to have some of your info, just not sure how to send a pm, just gotta work it out !

Lou x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)