Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Remaining In Reception

I am just pondering the issue and implications of a child remaining in reception next September. A little one of mine isnt yet achieving many of the stepping stones let alone ELGs and at the moment the intention is that he should move to year one along with his peers. I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously I dont want to put up specifics on the forum regarding his special needs, but I have scheduled a meeting with mum after the hols and would appreciate any experiences, views that others might share on this one.

Regards

that is possibly the case susan, i really dont no. he probably would get extenuating circumstances tho as he is under ed psyc and so on. already had a mtg with inclusion officer, who suggested it as a possibility. I need to do more research really. so far tis just a ponder as I said. I was just wondering what experience others might have had if any.

thanks tho

M x

Just once and the child stayed out of his year group until Y3 when he went straight to Y4.The rather useless SENCo sort of forgot that he was out of his chronological year. Ideally he would have stayed in R for 1 term extra and then transferred to his place in Y1. There are also implications for numbers, if this child is supernumeray to the reception intake would you have to teach over 30? Our boy had to get in the right age group at some point as he was going to transfer at Y6 anyway. I think it has a lot to do with the type of provision that can be provided wherever the child is. In any case I don't think it would be your decision, the Head/LEA would probably be the final decision makers wouldn't they?

We did this in our school but kept the child in question longer in the nursery so they were unaware they were being kept back. I would say with hind sight it was a mistake but it did give the parents time to realise their child needed a different type of education.

I think our head just wanted to give parents the option of remaining in reception. But as you say with numbers for next year he would be one of 22 instead of 17. I agree that it might be a mistake if he remained with me. (in some ways I feel I have done as much as I can, I know that sounds a bit awful but I think a fresh teacher with new ideas etc. .. I think i have exhausted all my strategies!) The chances are that he will be offered the possibility of transfering to a special unit/resource school in the near future. Thanks for your help.

Don't feel bad, we can't solve the problems of every child on our own. You are just part of the child's learning journey and there are many other professionals he will be the responsibility of during his school/academic life. You may also need a breather......some children take a lot out of ys emotionally and you don't realise it until they have gone. So whatever happens it's not a reflection on you!

Don't feel bad, we can't solve the problems of every child on our own. You are just part of the child's learning journey and there are many other professionals he will be the responsibility of during his school/academic life. You may also need a breather......some children take a lot out of ys emotionally and you don't realise it until they have gone. So whatever happens it's not a reflection on you!

32857[/snapback]

Thanks Catma.

This is something that happened to a child in our school about 6 years ago. he remianed in the lower year group and is still working with them at secondary school. He was very special needs but it did cause a slight problem in Year 6 as he was acutally Year 7 and was a September birthday so he started all his teenage changes whilst still with us. It caused some issues with other chn noticing him changeing and led to afew difficult questions! We muted the idea of keeping another SEN child back last year but the LEA line was this should only be done if the child would no longer be SEN if they were kept back. If they were going to continue to struggle then they should be kept with their year group and given support. It increases chance of funding if they are working with their own year group and need extra adult suport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)