Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maternity Leave - When To Leave Work

Hello Everyone,

I'm so excited. I'm now five and a half months pregnant and my husband and I have started to discuss when I should leave work to start my maternity leave. Our baby is due on January 8th. I can officially leave work at October half term.

I teach in a Foundation Stage Unit and will have 19 boys and 11 girls in F2 full time in September. Half of my class are Summer birthdays so will be very young! I am the FSU leader and we have around 30 F1 children in addition to my 30.

I would like people's advice about when they think I should leave for maternity. I know that each person is different but I would like to know what others experiences are and what they think is realistic.

Thank you

Boogie xx

Congratulations xD

I left the earliest I could because I didn't like my job, I worked in an office and was bored senseless :o

I would say for you to leave in time so you can spend time relaxing, chilling out, shopping for all those lovely little things and just enjoying the pregnancy, because when little Boogie arrives, life will never be the same again.

If you don't leave at October half term would you have to wait till Christmas?

Congratulations xD

I left the earliest I could because I didn't like my job, I worked in an office and was bored senseless :o

I would say for you to leave in time so you can spend time relaxing, chilling out, shopping for all those lovely little things and just enjoying the pregnancy, because when little Boogie arrives, life will never be the same again.

If you don't leave at October half term would you have to wait till Christmas?

Thank you for your reply. Fortunately, you don't have to wait until the next holiday so the latest I would work would be 28th November. I'm just really not sure what to do.

Boogie x

Hello,

I'm planning on going back next September anyway so it doesn't matter from that point of view because I can have a whole year off if I wanted to but feel it would be better to go back part time at the beginning of a new school year, rather than half way through a term.

Boogie :o

I finished 6 weeks before my fist baby was born because I felt well, and then she was 2 weeks late so then it seemed a very long wait for her to arrive.

With my second child I left 6 weeks before he was due to be born but he came along at 38 weeks so I only had 4 weeks at home!

At the time I was working on a children's ward and you had to leave at least 6 weeks before your due date!

No one was able to work past the 34 week date!

At that time maternity leave was 6 weeks before baby born and 6 weeks after and 6 weeks you could take either side of the due date!

I think I would work till half term rather than leave mid way through a term but I think you should do what you feel well enough and happy to do!

Good luck x

Congratulations.

I was working in nursery when I took Maternity leave and by the time I did, at the end of a half term holiday I was 30 weeks. I personally couldnt have carried on any longer physically.

I would say leave at half term but give your leaving date as the day that svhool returns after the holiday or on the last day of the half term break whichever is applicablle so that you get your holiday as paid work time but dont return to work after that break. The Last half of the autumn term is always very tiring and you will be able to get ready for your baby and for Christmas!

Congratulations

I would see how you get on - how tired, achey you feel- depending on how flexible your school will be.

I managed to work till 24 weeks- end of summer term- but was carrying triplets- don't know how I made it that far apart from a really supportive team....