Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Schemas

This may be a bit of a stupid question so please forgive me. Having seen lots of mentions of schemas on here I've done a little bit of reading about them and think I understand what they are. What I was wondering though was whether they are something that applies principally to pre-school aged children or whether it's relevant to reception age too.

I'm asking because it interests me but at the moment there are so many things that I feel I need to do to improve my practice I'm trying to prioritise a little. Is it something I should be doing more research into given that I have a reception/Y1 class?

My apologies if the answer to this is so obvious I should have found it out on my own!

Some schemas do carry on into reception and beyond but they seem more dominant in toddlers. I personally don't think that they are as evident as research would suggest at any age, and we only have a couple of kids at a time engaging in them. The main one we seem to see in the toddler room are transporting and filling/emptying

I am sure that I read that Schema carry on into adulthood (wish I could remember where to give more weight to my comment).

I only have experience of pre-school age children where I've seen transporting, trajectory, circularity, enclosure, filling/emptying, and one child with a dominent connection schema so much so that his mum was so embarrassed she bought us a box of masking tape reels to replace the ones her child used.

I often tease my 23 year old son about his trajectory schema with his love of driving his combine harvester up and down the fields, together with his love of hockey, rugby.

It has been suggested that people who eat according to a pattern are using schematic behaviour, e.g. they eat all their potatoes, then their peas, then carrots and lastly the meat. I know several people who follow this, however they say they leave the best 'til last.

However i know other people who have been diagnosed with OCD too, who have shown persistance in habitual behaviours.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)