Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Settling In To A New Term

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

We are a small playgroup catering for 12 children operating term time only so due back this week although the children do not come back until next Monday. We have 7 returning as they are just now in their pre-school year and 1 who has just moved into the area making a total of 8. We are still trying to work out another 7 children who have just turned 3 years of age - 2 are definately full time while the rest are a combination of 2 to 4 days a week. All very complicated!!

Anyway what I am looking for is advice. We only opened in January this year and of course have not been in the position of working with pre-schoolers so are wondering how to handle it. Part of me just wants to go with the flow and see what the children bring up in terms of interests etc while the other half of me wants to be a tiny bit structured at least maybe offering 1 group activity at least once or twice a week. We have done this in the past but then were working with smaller numbers of children so it was easier for all 3 staff members. We are staggering the intake over 3 weeks to give everyone proper attention just to settle in and there will only be another 4/5 weeks until half term again!

How have you all handled a new term? What "special" things did you do at the beginning of each year. I have lined up a handprints poem which we will laminate and use as placemats each day. I have also a laminated A3 sheet with the rules of playgroup etc to emphasise over the first few weeks. I was planning for later on in the term to do gardening with our bulbs and wallflowers then possibly a leaf walk when it really gets autumy. I also have the lovely story about the 3 baby owls separated from mummy and our local Childcare Partnership has given us a box of nursery rhymes plus props to work through - this will be an extension of our nursery rhyme time since the beginning of the year when we taught the children 3 rhymes a month so they will know some of them already.

Sounds like you have it sorted. Like your owl babies idea not thought of that one. We have a few more chidren than you to settle but our first week will be circle times games getting to know each other and names, making place mats for snack, learning routines and rules and generally getting everyone back into routine including staff. The following weeks will be going with the flow probably Autumn based.

Buttercup

Sounds like you needn't worry. Your plans sound lovely. We find it is just best to go with the flow for the first few days as you never know how the children are going to settle. Most importantly Have FUN!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)