Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Area Challenges

Hey, I am new to KS1 so bare with me if this question is an annoying one :)

Just wondering if anyone had any example challenges for:

1. Writing Area

2. Construction Area

3. Creative Area

Thanks in advance :)

p.s. where has the 6 weeks hols gone :o

Hi there,

I'm not sure about KS1 challenges as that curriculum is not my forte but I can give you a couple of examples of what I do in Reception. The challenges always start with the next steps that have been identified for the children.

For the creative area - to support the children's targets of CD2 (creating simple representations of events, people...) and CD5 (exploring colour, texture ...) I set the challenge of "Can you show me who is in your family?" the children are then encouraged to select any of the materials in the creative area to complete this challenge - they may want to paint, create a collage, or construct using junk. Sensitive adult intervention can develop valuable language skills here.

For the writing area - to support W1, 2, 3 & 4 (and more if the child is able) I set the challenge of the children telling me about themselves supported with laminated photographs of themselves to write on. Adults support, praise and challenge each child further based on what they show us they can independently do.

These challenges are written on cards for each area, the cards also contain some key vocabulary, questions and observations to share with the children (e.g. if you see the children being successful at using scissors safely) to guide the practise of any adults within the class.

The challenges are refreshed either weekly or bi-weekly to ensure they continue to move the children's learning forwards.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

It certainly helps me and I didn't ask the original question - thank you. I think that I need to do some work on making my challenges broader e.g. I might have written "Can you draw me a picture of family" rather than your version which allows them to do anything.

As far as KS1 goes I've never done this with them but thinking for example of that bit of the history curriculum that says "select from their knowledge of history and communicate it in different ways" this would seem to lend itself to a "Can you show me what London was like during the great fire?" type question or for writing "Can you write some instructions for putting the fire out?" or for construction "Can you make a fire engine?"

I'd probably look at what 'topics' you've got and then see if you can come up with challenges for each area then.

Hi heidishubrook,

I'm moving to year 2 and also plan on having 'challenges'. As far as I take them to mean (and other correct me if you think differently) is just a development from child initiated learning that happens in reception when children are using the continuous provision for play. For key stage 1 it is still in my opinion very important that children still have these opportunities to play and develop their learning but offer challenges for the children to do in different areas to extend/support their learning. Good luck!

In answer to the original question, I have just brought 'Making it work in key stage 1' books on construction and outdoor learning, they have other on different areas and it offers loads of challenges in there so very useful. x

Hi heidishubrook,

I'm moving to year 2 and also plan on having 'challenges'. As far as I take them to mean (and other correct me if you think differently) is just a development from child initiated learning that happens in reception when children are using the continuous provision for play. For key stage 1 it is still in my opinion very important that children still have these opportunities to play and develop their learning but offer challenges for the children to do in different areas to extend/support their learning. Good luck!

In answer to the original question, I have just brought 'Making it work in key stage 1' books on construction and outdoor learning, they have other on different areas and it offers loads of challenges in there so very useful. x

Im in Reception so does that mean I don't need to worry about them? (Thank you for your reply!)

I believe that it is your choice how you manage the areas of learning within your classroom. I work in reception and have chosen to set challenges in the different areas of learning - I found that some children would tend to create and recreate very similar things within the areas if I did not do this. Using my observations/assessments of the children I tailor the challenges to move their learning forward and add enhancements to each area to support this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)