Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chat With New Students

Hi everyone; we take work experiences students from a local college every year. This year the college have asked me to give the new students, those just starting thei qualification, a chat on expectations of them from the nurseries, what they should expect, what they might experience etc. I know what I would say, however I would love to have some input from you lovely people on here.

So if you were giving this chat what would you include and what message would you want to get across? Thank you in anticipation :o

Hi everyone; we take work experiences students from a local college every year. This year the college have asked me to give the new students, those just starting thei qualification, a chat on expectations of them from the nurseries, what they should expect, what they might experience etc. I know what I would say, however I would love to have some input from you lovely people on here.

So if you were giving this chat what would you include and what message would you want to get across? Thank you in anticipation :o

quiet around here at the moment.. everyone must feel the need for a break.

we had a leaflet for students which we gave them and discussed with them usually when they came for a visit, our college used to encourage them to come visit and introduce themselves before they started the placement.. most did.

we had things like the dress code, hours, timings, punctuality, confidentiality, how the day went/timetable, anything we expected them to do, eg prepare snack, cleaning, etc.. (being pack away they had to come and so all the jobs we did, including the cleaning!) and things they could not do like be alone with any child, take them to toilet etc... with reasons why not.

then what we could do to help them, if they let us know about assignments, study help etc.. assign them a mentor to work with them or so they knew who to go to with questions. anything they are not confident in or would like practice or to do.. we found many were not doing things like read a story to a group of children or lead with the singing etc... so we had them join a staff member with this until they had enough confidence to do some themselves..

sickness a number to call and a time to call by if they were not coming in.. (we also said if they did not turn up and did not call we could call the college to let them know, amazing how many students we had who told college they were with us but never turned up! )

and the things that always seemed to worry them what do we do for breaks / food ( always remember having a mum complain about her daughter who had a placement with us about the fact that we didn't offer breaks or any food all day and that she was expected to be there for 6 hours , without a smoke!! needless to say we had offered drinks and food all day,which she refused.. and a break at lunch time where she did go away for 20 mins, but seems that was not enough.. mum thought 6 hours was too long a day to work.. for a 17 yr old.)