Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ancient Egyptians

We have decided that our topic next half term will be on the ancient egyptians. This is because a few children have expressed an interest and others have been interested in their interest, also I think it is an exciting topic with a lot of possibilities.....

Need lots of ideas to fill 7 weeks though!!

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

I am sorry Oli, I havent any ideas for you, where did the children's interest stem from, in our school the Egyptians are covered in y5. I would think it would be very hard to find any age appropriate resources.

My son has just done Egyptians in Year 3. He was specially fascinated by the fact that they removed the brains using a huge hook through the nose before mummification!

Not sure how I would go about tackling this for early years though! I'll be interesting to see what the gurus suggest...

Maz

We have decided that our topic next half term will be on the ancient egyptians.  This is because a few children have expressed an interest and others have been interested in their interest, also I think it is an exciting topic with a lot of possibilities.....

32517[/snapback]

One of most able children in my class went on holiday to Egypt in the Easter break she has brought in photos, books, artifacts and told us all loads about what she saw there. Another child got the interest from his Scooby Doo magazine, when they went to hunt down the mummies!! Most of the children are already interested in the theme, I don't expect the children to understand everything about the egyptions. Just to know that they were people that lived along time ago. I would imagine that they will have fun making Egyption head dresses, building a huge pyramids outside. Wrapping up some children as mummies using toilet roll and model make some sacophacus, that sort of thing.

I am just after a few more ideas, songs, good books, that sort of thing.

32536[/snapback]

you shouldn't really need to be too specific although many of my reception like the idea of brains being pulled out, you can use the obvious of pyramid building, shapes, what they wore, have a dressing up as a mummy day, non-fiction to fiction, recipes from ancient egypt - make pyramid shape rice crispy cakes, masks for the mummies, camels and transport, the ancient gods they worshipped make cats and beetles, go off at a tangent on some minibeasts, how long is the nile in egypt , make an egyptian boat see if it floats or sinks, lots of sand work measuring and consistency, make an obelisk from clay, hyrogliphics (sorry about spelling) let them make their own scripts, making paper very mushy and fun.

Hope this helps these are just some ideas off the top of my head

Good luck hope it works well and let us know

Mrs B

Thanks Mrs B they are great ideas and thanks beau for the websites they look great. I'm looking forward to a new topic!!

Hi!

As my children have responded well to these types of ideas before, I might try it in the 6 week holidays! (Day Nursery)

Will let you know, meantime, please keep us posted!! :)

Sue :D

yes of course I will let you know how it goes. I have just finished a 6 week topic on dinosaurs and it has been brilliant, very successful.

We have just done a week of dinosaurs which the children have loved- not sure if I could make it last 7 weeks though!

Marie

Cheap book shop on a lot of high streets, at least in my part of the country. They sell childrens books, activities and games, novels, classics, CD's, art stuff, but mostly books. I bought a hard back 'Muddle Earth' for £3.99, £12.99 in Waterstones, but you cant always guarentee what you'll be able to find. :D

It's a childrens book by Paul Stewart and someone else, they wrote the Edge Chronicles. Youngest son loves them.

It involves, a wizard with only 1 spell, an Ogre who crys a lot and various other wierd and wonderful things. I cant read it yet because I'm saving myself for the next Harry Potter. Not long now :D

• 3 weeks later...
We have decided that our topic next half term will be on the ancient egyptians.  This is because a few children have expressed an interest and others have been interested in their interest, also I think it is an exciting topic with a lot of possibilities.....

32517[/snapback]

How about wall paintings and hieroglyphics maybe work out how to write their names? egyptian necklaces ect and loads of shape stuff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)