Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autumn Topic

hi, i'm looking for inspiration for the first terms topic. I usually do "All about me" or Ourselves. I fancy a change this year? has anyone got any ideas?

I feel same - been thinking about we are special / special people type of theme to cover ourselves and different groups of people - what makes each group special. This would allow us to look at a range of groups - 'people who help us' - similarities and differences between groups - different cultural practices.

I want to link this to a 'celebrations' board where we can put up photos from home - weddings / Eid parties / birthdays / a family 'do' etc.

I recently watched a fab programme on Teachers TV - 'Libby's little tigers', all about a teacher who wanted to create a sense of community in her class. Her school is in a very deprived ex-mining area. A joy to watch and gave me some good ideas!

Good luck

Jenni

I know it's different for me because I am a childminder, so I have had children all through the holidays. However, the age range expands in holidays because I have the breakfast and after school kids during the day too. During the holidays we have been using the Change4Life resources. We have used them as a starting point for our planning to cover age ranges 1 to 12 - we have found it fairly easy to differentiate for each child's age/stage of development and so far it is a success (but we still have 4 weeks to go!) although researching healthy lifestyles has taken us to some other fantastic websites with more resources to enhance the theme. We've noticed that some of the children's fitness levels are very low and their own personal daily records of what they've been consuming (not with us I might add!) are quite alarming. It does go some way to explaining why some of them are alarmingly overweight (the over 8's particularly). So, I think it's natural for us to start a new academic year with "ourselves" as a topic as we are all getting to know new children and they are getting to know us - it seems appropriate to me. Therefore, we will be starting with it again this September but with "our healthy lifestyles" being a focus as we are starting as we mean to go on. I feel we can't ignore what we are learning about our children during the school holidays. New early years children will be introduced to our healthy eating and exercise 'regime' (for want of a better word) whilst activities will be extended for existing children in Key Stages 1, 2 and 3.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)