Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Development Plan

Hi

I have just finished updating all the policies etc, and i'm just about to start the development plan, our EYA has said this needs to be linked to the EYFS, my mind has gone completely blank, can anyone offer any guidance on this, i'm sure it's obvious and i'm just having a blonde moment..........................

We call ours an action plan but essentially we have audited our provision using a variety of means (ECERS, local authority tools, just what felt like it needed reviewing, etc) and then we noted what we already did, what we wanted that part of the provision to look like, and how we were going to get there. We then linked this to the EYFS, under the 16, is it the Principles - mind has gone blank now! Every half term or term we review this and mark the items as red, amber or green for whether they are very urgent or more long term aims, and state how far we have worked to achieving them. Hope this helps a bit - and you can understand it! (Sunday night, summer hols and glass of wine to blame!).

We suggest that our development plans link to the RAG (or EQUISP etc ) rating. Do you have something similar? So for example, if one of your RAG headings is 'working with parents' and you get a red or low category in that section, then this would be the key focus of your development.

Not all settings do it this way, and some write theirs linked to the areas of the SEF, if they have one.

Its also a good idea to include anything that arose from your last OFTSED.

Holly35, this is almost exactly the same as how I do it for my childminding setting only I do mine every 6 months or sooner if I thought that action was required more urgently, whereupon I would return to the audit as soon as it was addressed/resolved and update it. Anything to do with welfare requirements would be considered to be urgent and would take precedence over things such as enhancing provision. A safeguarding issue in particular would halt the audit process to be dealt with immediately, then and there (sounds ominous but I'm talking broken catch on gate, loose plank in fence etc). Then I would work through any other issues I identified and give myself a time-line within which I expect to get it done. If, by the time of the next audit, I have not got something done then I have a good stern talk with myself!!! :o