Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Write Dance, What Do You Think?

Hi I have 2 children coming from a special school pre school in September who will have 1-1 support. They have both gone through the write dance pre school 'scheme' so in the interests of inclusion and building on successes I ordered the write dance for 4-8 yuear olds with the idea that I could get the whole class involved and it would help everyone's pencil control. On reading it though it seems really weird and I wondered if anyone has used it with reception and what they thought of it as i just can't see myself doing it!

deb

I liked it when I used it although my year group colleague did not.

I did not follow it in its entirety as I did not have the resources for the follow up activities but I do believe the children got something from it.

I loved write dance, although it wasn't always the easiest thing to organise. I found that the children were much more relaxed in their shoulders and their writing was more confident. I do think it needs commitment to become part of your routine rather than something you just drop into when you want to.

There have been a few thread about this, so a search might throw some up for you to peruse.

I use it mostly in term one, but I adapt it to suit me, as the stories are not always what I would say. I take the movements and music and explore them with the children. My classes always enjoy it. We do it around the room, then we blue tack large sheets of paper to the table, one per child. They choose 2 crayons and we play the music a few times. It normally takes around fifteen mins. I do it with around 12 children at the same time.

Debbie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)