Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking In Y1

Hi, I'm just wondering....

If as a year one teacher you assess in october a a child still attaining on the profile how do you track progress across year one.

for example. if a child is attaining in october 4 on the profile in writing for example, and then they acheive 1c at the end of year one how do you measure this as progress? when they get into levels you can say they have made 2 sub levels progress or whatever, but how do you describe the progress made from profile to NC?

Thanks. I'm not Y1 teacher I'm reception but jut trying to understand a little further how this is done.

lucie

You can't as such - they are 2 different recording systems. All you can really say is that they were below expectations in Oct (would expect 6+) and just below expectations at the end of yr1 (would expect a 1b to be on track for 2b+ by end of Yr2).

The eyfsp is not designed as a progress tracker, it's a one off summative assessment, designed to identify skills and gaps to inform yr1 teachers as a child moves into the NC. The numbers are nothing to do with it in reality! NC is a ongoing summative assessment linked to the ongoing expectations of children at each year group so they are on track by 11.

Cx

We don't actually record children's achievement against NC levels until the end of the autumn term so the year 1 teacher can use the autumn term to plan to their missing scales points etc and begin the national curriculum. Then at Christmas, children who are not yet a 1C are given a W (working towards level 1). The levels translate into point scores and children are expected to make a certain number of points across KS2 so progress is measured this way. Children who are scoring 4 points on the profile by christmas are possibly SEN and may then begin o be assessed again P levels which are SEN levels.

Hope that makes sense! x

On the system we use at school, a child who is on stage 4 for writing in October and then becomes a 1c in the summer, is deemed to have made 2 pts progress. This is very handy when you are having to report to governors your children's progress and your head expects 2pts from every child.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, its not a system we have made up ourselves, but SIMs which I think is something that all schools in Somerset have. As far as I know I don't have to enter any data for the Reception children, only the Year 1s. The only down side is that (if I remember correctly) it doesn't acknowledge any progress in terms of points if a child in on the EYFSP and say scores 4 in autumn and 6 in spring - it only acknowledges progress when they hit the magical level 1. However at least that way it does realise that coming off the EYFSP and onto level 1 is progress itself.

The programme is like most tracking systems I have used; once a term you enter their current level and it tells you the progress each child has made, and even colour codes the scores - great for SMT to check up on you.

(sorry am a bit bitter re targets - I think they are a brilliant idea, but hate being held to account if a child does not meet his target especially if its for reasons beyond your control, and think that target setting child who are still on the EYFSP is nonsensicle - but then again that may be why I am not SMT)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)