Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualifications Necessary

Hello, I am going to be returning to my favourite role after the summer hols........Nursery teacher!!! I work in a foundation unit in a primary school ......money is tight and we have been told where we'll be after summer and the TA's have been moved too. The lady who is due to work with me is only paid at level two................I beleive that the level should be three by law ........am I right??? Can anyone help???? The lady who was in nursery is moving to reception ...she is paid at level three

Thanks

xD:(:(:o

I think the ratios of staff with particular qualifications working directly with the children have to be maintained, and it sounds as if nursery and reception work separately in your unit. Is the TA paid at Level 2 qualified at Level 3 ?

I think the ratios of staff with particular qualifications working directly with the children have to be maintained, and it sounds as if nursery and reception work separately in your unit. Is the TA paid at Level 2 qualified at Level 3 ?

Yep she's only paid level 2 but qualified at three. Ta

Oh dear :o I think then that the TA has some issues with the HT/Governing Body here. If she is actually the L3 then that is how she should be paid. If she is paid at L2 then she should only be doing the job of a L2. This is something she needs to take up with the HT and/or go to her Union for advice. It might be worth you flagging up to your HT that you should have a L3 as a statutory requirement and see what the response is, to try to resolve the issue before it goes any further.

Hi xD We had a similar situation in our school.

It is statutory to have a nursery teacher and a recognised level three qualified person (not just a level three TA qualification) to work in a nursery class. Any additional members of staff (eg. if you are a 39 place nursery) can have a level two TA qualification.

I am the level three person in my setting (NNEB) and work alongside the teacher and a TA level two.

We have a level two TA from Reception class who comes through to replace me when I cover for any teachers in the Foundation Stage. She 'holds' a recognised level three qualification which covers her as far as the EYFS documentation goes but as she is not employed as such she cannot be left in charge of the class if the nursery teacher leaves the room.

Hope I haven't confused you too much :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)