Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For An Open Morning - Next Week!

PLEASE can anyone help? As part of the ECaT project (Every Child a Talker) I am having an open morning next Thursday. I have been so busy with transfer documents etc etc that I have had little time to prepare for this. I have never had an open morning before and wondered if anyone else could give some tips, advice or ideas about activities they have done. Thank you!

When we have had open days we have followed the children's interests and had activities out to support this.

We have also tried activities that the parents could do at home.

We have tried not to "tie" staff to activities so they have been free to talk with parents too.

It can be tiring mentally but well worth the effort!

Hi,

We had a PSRN open morning earlier in the year. We alsotried to put out activities that parents could do at home, and had adults available to talk about what a child might learn whilst doing that activity, and how it could be adapted for ability/use at home. We also gave all the parents some post-it notes, so they could jot down examples of their children's learning, to encourage them contributing to learning journals.

The reception classes had open mornings too, and I think they did some demonstrations of activities, taking a small group of children and showing a particular skill etc, like a focus activity.

Good luck!

Hi,

That sounds a really good idea, I know some of my parents hate anything thats maths related so it might be quite a good idea to have a maths themed open morning, think it would boost their confidence. What maths activities do you and the children do?

sorry yr morning has porobably been and gone but we often have open mornings, i make them very informal. We have coffee and biscuits in the vestry(pack away in church setting hence the use of the vestry)

here we have informal discussions about learning, potty training, writing, getting ready for school, outside play just to name but a few things of what has been discussed, I make note of anything that we can use to move forward with.

I often go with what the parents are wanting to say, often break the ice with photo display

after coffee the parents are invited to stay and play, some do and some have to go on to work.

I only have small groups in at a time, works well.

If you have had yours how did it go?

sorry yr morning has porobably been and gone but we often have open mornings, i make them very informal. We have coffee and biscuits in the vestry(pack away in church setting hence the use of the vestry)

here we have informal discussions about learning, potty training, writing, getting ready for school, outside play just to name but a few things of what has been discussed, I make note of anything that we can use to move forward with.

I often go with what the parents are wanting to say, often break the ice with photo display

after coffee the parents are invited to stay and play, some do and some have to go on to work.

I only have small groups in at a time, works well.

If you have had yours how did it go?

Hello Suer

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it has been and gone and not very successful! :o

In part (or perhaps mostly!), it was my fault. I felt really nervous about this and didn't really want to do it at all. I felt 'obliged' to have an open morning because, as part of the ECaT programme, it was expected - and I had been putting it off for almost a year. The staff too are not very supportive - they don't like the 'disruption'. We have two separate units (about ten mtrs apart). The invitation to the open morning was included in my half-termly newsletter which was sent out about five weeks ago - I should have put up a poster to remind the parents about it or verbally remind them, but I didn't. We had one parent who came in one unit - none in the other.

I had arranged an activity and prepared information about it (re: how the activity can help children's listening skills and what parents can do to help at home).

I will arrange another in the autumn term - there will be fewer children and our outdoor play area will have been completed (we have a very small concrete area and half is fenced off at the moment), so the children will also be able to get out to play and I will feel less 'worried' about the noise levels and knowing that the children need to get out.

Hello Suer

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it has been and gone and not very successful! :o

In part (or perhaps mostly!), it was my fault. I felt really nervous about this and didn't really want to do it at all. I felt 'obliged' to have an open morning because, as part of the ECaT programme, it was expected - and I had been putting it off for almost a year. The staff too are not very supportive - they don't like the 'disruption'. We have two separate units (about ten mtrs apart). The invitation to the open morning was included in my half-termly newsletter which was sent out about five weeks ago - I should have put up a poster to remind the parents about it or verbally remind them, but I didn't. We had one parent who came in one unit - none in the other.

I had arranged an activity and prepared information about it (re: how the activity can help children's listening skills and what parents can do to help at home).

I will arrange another in the autumn term - there will be fewer children and our outdoor play area will have been completed (we have a very small concrete area and half is fenced off at the moment), so the children will also be able to get out to play and I will feel less 'worried' about the noise levels and knowing that the children need to get out.

Hi, sorry your morning didn't go so well....

Though you might like to hear how we run a regular (early) evening event.

Known as our 'bedtime hour' the children return to pre-school in their pyjamas while two members of staff entertain with stories, singing and nibbles. Meanwhile, I run a session in the hall where the parents are asked to come in, watch a slideshow of videos of the children at play which I comment on, explaining what hte children are doing and how this is supporting their learning. Keep thinking how good this would be to focus this on one area of learning. The parents also get the opportunity to review their child's learning journal and profile. Event is run from 5.30 - 6.30 so not too late for hte children but exciting enough to be a special 'night' out.

Last time we did this, we had 35 parents attend (we only have 32 children on roll!) most with both mum and dad but one grandparent came too! and someone afterwards said "it was great to have a parent's evening and not have to sort out a babysitter".

I could see how this might be adapted to suit your need.....

Don't worry too much - we learn from these things and use them to improve things next time. Good Luck!!

We're doing a bedtime hour on Thursday for the first time, if you have any behind the scenes tips you'd like to share mps09 then I'm all ears! I was thinking toast and a glass of milk for the children and parents alike I have a fear of hot drinks going everywhere!

We're doing a bedtime hour on Thursday for the first time, if you have any behind the scenes tips you'd like to share mps09 then I'm all ears! I was thinking toast and a glass of milk for the children and parents alike I have a fear of hot drinks going everywhere!

My tip would be - have the parents 'retire' to another room if you can.... that's how our event evolved really. The children were so badly behaved one time - and their parents did notihing to encourage them to co-operate - so we removed the parents and had a wonderful time!!!

And the parents did too - the first time I didn't do anything just let the slideshow run while the parents had a chat and an orange juice (apparently we're not allowed to serve alcohol while the children are in the premises....) but then I began offering some snippets of information about what the children were doing/learning.

Great time! Let me know how it goes!!

MPS09

Hi, sorry your morning didn't go so well....

Though you might like to hear how we run a regular (early) evening event.

Known as our 'bedtime hour' the children return to pre-school in their pyjamas while two members of staff entertain with stories, singing and nibbles. Meanwhile, I run a session in the hall where the parents are asked to come in, watch a slideshow of videos of the children at play which I comment on, explaining what hte children are doing and how this is supporting their learning. Keep thinking how good this would be to focus this on one area of learning. The parents also get the opportunity to review their child's learning journal and profile. Event is run from 5.30 - 6.30 so not too late for hte children but exciting enough to be a special 'night' out.

Last time we did this, we had 35 parents attend (we only have 32 children on roll!) most with both mum and dad but one grandparent came too! and someone afterwards said "it was great to have a parent's evening and not have to sort out a babysitter".

I could see how this might be adapted to suit your need.....

Don't worry too much - we learn from these things and use them to improve things next time. Good Luck!!

Thanks for your words of support (and wisdom!) mps09 - will try your idea in the autumn term.

Thanks for your words of support (and wisdom!) mps09 - will try your idea in the autumn term.

The parents love to have a natter too - one of those times when you can actually FINISH a conversation!!

Have fun!!

So sorry for you. its hard when you put tought and effort into it. I keep my parents reminded via texts (they all have a mobile)

We make ours very informal. My staff are very supportive and see the benefits to having close links with parents and carers

My girls are usesd to visitors as we have them all the time, but there are times when i say no to people coming in and it is lovely when it is just us and the children!!

Dont give up everything you do is a learning curve.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)