Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sand Timers

just wondering if people could help me, currently some children in my class are obsessed with sand timers and i wondering if anyone had any ideas of what i could do to extend this learning or add variety?

currently they have races with the sand timers to see which one will finish first, i have provided them with timers of different amounts and ones that are the same. We have also talked about why one is faster or slower and they also use them to take turns on the bikes.

i was thinking about providing them with different types of timers and using a timer on the whitboard at tidy up time instead of music. I also wondered about doing how mnay starjumps can you do for each timer ect.

if anyone got any other thoughts and ideas it would be much appreiciated thanks Emma

just wondering if people could help me, currently some children in my class are obsessed with sand timers and i wondering if anyone had any ideas of what i could do to extend this learning or add variety?

currently they have races with the sand timers to see which one will finish first, i have provided them with timers of different amounts and ones that are the same. We have also talked about why one is faster or slower and they also use them to take turns on the bikes.

i was thinking about providing them with different types of timers and using a timer on the whitboard at tidy up time instead of music. I also wondered about doing how mnay starjumps can you do for each timer ect.

if anyone got any other thoughts and ideas it would be much appreiciated thanks Emma

We have vertical shape sorters, these are posts with different wooden coloured and shaped pieces to fit onto, ours like to race each other as to who can get their post filled the quickest, i have also used the stop watch for individual children to see how quickly they can fill a post, this can be done easily or made more tricky by mixing up the shapes altogether so they have to find individual ones, or colours etc., the boys particularly get quite competitive, some use both hands while otheres just their dominant hand so watching their strategies is intriguing too

what about using them to enhance PSRN- maybe children can see how many star jumps they can do, how many conkers they can pick up with tweezers, how many duplo bricks they can build a tower with until it falls etc etc. Their partner could record using tally marks the number achieved. We do this with our nursery children and their calculating and problem solving skills are developed well whilst having the fun racing against the timer. There are also several timers that you can get for the IWB

http://www.cheekymonkeyresources.co.uk/Cou...%2030%20sec.htm

http://www.interactiveclock.com/countdown-clock-resource.php

http://e.ggtimer.com/10%20seconds

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)