Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Resources Can You Not Live Without For 4 Year Olds?

Guest heleng

Guest heleng

We have been very fortunate to have been given some funding for September. As our intake pattern has been changed and we are taking all of our Reception children in September (all full time within 3 days!) and we are expanding to two form entry (60 children) we have been given some money to 'provide to meet the needs of the youngest children in full time school'.

So, we are going to be buying some bread and butter resources- more small world bits, interesting things to count etc as we have a second class to kit out but would like some ideas for what we need to provide for the youngest children in our classes.

So what resources do your 4 year olds like and what can't you live without. We have make the money stretch as far as we can as budgets are very tight.

A couple of shoeboxes filled with jam jar lids, and the smae of plastic bottle tops.

Pinecones and stones and shells and ribbons

junk modelling

big cardboard boxes

etc

We have been very fortunate to have been given some funding for September. As our intake pattern has been changed and we are taking all of our Reception children in September (all full time within 3 days!) and we are expanding to two form entry (60 children) we have been given some money to 'provide to meet the needs of the youngest children in full time school'.

So, we are going to be buying some bread and butter resources- more small world bits, interesting things to count etc as we have a second class to kit out but would like some ideas for what we need to provide for the youngest children in our classes.

So what resources do your 4 year olds like and what can't you live without. We have make the money stretch as far as we can as budgets are very tight.

What great question-how long have you got?

1) Masking tape-rolls and rolls of it! My children love making things. If there are no junk boxes available they just use paper and card-any shape or size they can get their hands on. They love sequins etc but they don't need them. They will make their own decorations,but THEY MUST HAVE MASKING TAPE and it's very useful for the teacher to stick pics and things on the whiteboard, or make boundries on the carpet. Talking of making-mini staplers, hole punches and glue sticks are also useful.

2) Shells are good for sorting as well as stones, fir cones, corks, buttons etc. If you want to buy something then the little mini people are good-each pack has a variety of girls and boys all dressed diffrently, so they are also useful for pattern devising

3) For outside, decorating rollers and giant paintbrushes, together with rolls and rolls of wallpaper. Plant water sprays for mark making-cheap ones available in garden centres.

4) Camouflage netting and drapes to make dens and, of course, milk crates-as many as you can lay your hands on and plastic guttering/drain pipes-absolutely essential-can be used for water, sand, cars and much more.

5)Pop up tents-you can get them quite cheaply-they make lovely cosy outside book areas.

6)Chiffon scarves for dancing, drama, role play,dressing up etc

6) Go to charity shops to find cheap toy cars and look out for old saucepans to hang up in the garden and wooden spoons to hit them with. Also look out for old plastic teasets-ideal for the sand tray, as well as old measuring jugs and other plastic containers good for water and sand.

7) My class this year are particularly keen on the Lasy construction kit, but all cohorts are different and some might prefer Lego.It's useful, however, to get a kit with 'long bits', that can double up as mark making tools, as well as steering wheel columns, window cleaning tools, swords, flag poles, boat masts, oars, sign posts etc etc

These are the first things I thought of when considering what I couldn't be without. I'm presuming you already have the basic essentials like books, computers, musical instruments, writing tools, sand/water trays etc etc . I hope this has been of some help.

Good luck!

Edited by mackdebs

mixed buttons and lots of them for sorting/ counting/threading in the tuff spot-always a favourite and fab for fine motor control although have to keep an eye on them as they are often used in the creative area glued onto something!

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)