Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fs Co-ords In Schools

I'm wondering, those of you in schools, if your FS co-ord is in nursery how much do they have to do with the reception class/es? By this I mean in the general running of the classroom, timetabling, planning, assessment etc? And if the FS co-ord is in reception how much do they have to do with the nursery class/es?

Would appreciate any feedback :)

Thanks

quite a lot...managing the team, leading INSET, feeding back from SMT, monitoring T+L, planning etc, ensuring things like profiles are done when required, child protection for FS phase, general support for staff, induction tutor for NQT's, mentor for new staff, all just a few of the things I did as FSCo in nursery and Reception.

Hi Ya Jelly Head, How is it going?

Well I plan to have a lot to do with the reception classes as Ill be in the nursery. My head has already voiced his support in this as he wants me to have a major part in their plans, assessm, etc etc. I was in the nursery this year and my FS C didnt do alot, I planned everything, organised and led admissions and open evenings so really I was doing the job she was paid to do!!! In my opinion I need to know that everything is wroking well in there as I will be the one who gets it in the neck if the head doesnt like it!

I try to have an overview of both and be fully involved with both wherever I am ! It does help when I get my half a day leadership time but this doesn't always happen !!

Galleon :o

Hi

I'm getting on fine Amy, still waiting for the FS co-ord's job to be advertised :)

So, how do the other teacher's (non co-ords) feel about this? I'm just wondering because in key stage one and two in my school the key stage leaders don't have much to do with each class. The other teachers are pretty much left to it. A teacher I know said to me that she wouldn't be happy with the FS co-ord interfering too much in her class. What do you make of this?

I think that as long as they were gettiing on fine I wouldnt be in there all the time but if there were issues or problems then I see it as my job to help. I also see it as my role thou to get to know the children in the other classes too so may approac it this way. Iam sure you will be fine and I would hope noone will see it as interferring!

I am the reception class teacher in my school and the foundation stage coordinator is the nursery class teacher. We get together informally for day to day things (e.g. borrowing equipment) but there is not very much planning / organising together. I am aware of how the nursery work, and some of the plans through informal discussion / displays, etc.and I'm sure she is of ours too. I would like more links between us, and have suggested a few things, but feel it is inappropriate for me to organise as ideas I've suggested have not always been followed up (for no particualr reason), and it's also not my job- I don't get paid the allowance for it.

Thanks for your replies. The teacher I mentioned doesn't acxtually work in the foundation stage, which might explain her comment. Things are obviously run and managed quite differently in the Foundation stage to key stages one and two :)

I think it can depend on the ethos of the school and how the HT/SMT manage things like monitoring and the like. If there is no culture of it happening, then people see it as threatening and interference. It can also be hard to be doing things like that when no other teachers get monitored say. In my schools there's always been a culture of SMt and peer monitoring so noone in any key stage would think it invasive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)