Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nicknames

My full name is Annette and at pre school we always use our first names. As annette can be a bit difficult to remember, I am always known as Net. For the past 12yrs I have always been Net. But for the first time ever, I have a little girl at pre school who insists on cally me NETTY. I apologise to anyone out there who uses netty but for me, NNNNOOOOOOOOO.

Net.

I have kindly remined this child that my name is Net but she has now decided Netty it should be. So what, I hear you cry.

I hate it, it makes my skin crawl, I cringe at the sound of it. She has quite a stong local accent and is very loud. I have been out in the street and heard a NEEEETTTTEEEEEE But it is worse in our one room, with our 18 children all playing and chattering and all of a sudden NNNNEETTTTTTTTEEEEEEE.

Sorry about that.

Just needed a moan.

Net x

:oxD:(:(:(

I think part of the problem lies with so many parents adding an unnecessary 'y' on the end of words which drives me mad! That and 'baby words' for things. Do you want a crispy? Where's the chuff chuff? Have a biccy. Aaaaaaaargh!! :o

Had to have a chuckle to myself after I posted. My youngest daughter called my son Benny instead of Ben which has sort of stuck. :o I think this was because in our house we have mummy, daddy, felicity, verity and bryony. I guess Benny would make much more sense than Ben! xD

Before I got married lots of my friends called me shelly which I didnt mind so much until I got married and my husbands surname is Kelly. Couldnt face becoming 'Shelly Kelly' So now it is just Michaelle!!!! I suppose it could be worse......... :o x

Funny how emotive we get about names but as they are one of the few things that differentiate us from each other it's nice if people can get them right I think.

I agree with the 'y' thing, my son is a Thomas or Tom but most definately not a Tommy :(:(:(

Having said that this topic reminds me of a saying my gran used to use, "I don't care what you call me as long as it's in time for dinner" :oxD

Sue

My full name is Annette and at pre school we always use our first names. As annette can be a bit difficult to remember, I am always known as Net. For the past 12yrs I have always been Net. But for the first time ever, I have a little girl at pre school who insists on cally me NETTY. I apologise to anyone out there who uses netty but for me, NNNNOOOOOOOOO.

Net.

Just be glad you are not in the north east where netty is a local dialect word for toilet! I always remember this from school when a girl moved up from a different area and introduced herself as Netty, to much ensuing hilarity from a group of ten year olds!

One little girl told me she knew where babies come from: her lulu!

Hard to keep a straight face when I hear "wwwwwweeeeeeeellllllllllllll, you know you make me wanna shout (ooooo)"

Maz