Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice

Hi, I had the new reception intake in school this week for visits. It was really lovely to meet them all!

Now, one little boy ha stuck in my mind. He had an almost obsession with making sure the door was closed. We have a door that goes from the classroom to the cloakroom and it was this door that he was watching. Children were in and out taking off jumpers and the like and the door is usually open, but he kept closing it. When people came in from outside he would watch to make sure the outer door (self closing) was shut then came through and closed the inner one.

He didn't really play with others, although played alongside with me and another little boy with the train track, but constantly had his eye on the door and leapt up as soon as anyone went near it.

Now I know he could have been nervous and anxious on his visit but he just seems to stick in my mind...will be seeing his preschool leader on wednesday so will chat with her then.

Lucie x

Yes I agree that would stick in my mind even though he was just visiting. I have only known one child who does this and he was diagnosed with Autism. Now I am not saying that your little boy has got this, but it's definatley worth keeping an eye on!

Of course, there might be a very simple reason for this behaviour? maybe he has a younger sibling and his parents shut the door to stop the little one ( or even HIM) flitting from room to room? Maybe his preschool setting keeps the door shut to stop children free-flowing without an adult? maybe he lives in a cold house and mum keeps the door shut to keep the heat in? all sorts of possibilities! maybe he just likes the sound the door makes when it closes? maybe he's worried about the space being too big..........by closing the door, he keeps himself 'safe'??

yes...all things that were going round in my mind. i know he is an only child, mums not worried about anything with him (from info from my unique child booklet). will be chatting with preschool leader on wednesday to put my mind at rest.

thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)