Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Extended Services Snacks And Food

We are new to running an extended service, breakfast and afterschool and soon to be holiday clubs. We are already a preschool. I just wondered whether it was acceptable to serve things like chocolate spread ?? I am fully aware of the healthy eating ethos as we always have healthy options like fruit but some children want chocolate spread on their toast or swet coated cereal. Just wondered what foods other providers offered and whether the chocolate is a definite no no as far as Ofsted are concerned. Many Thanks Roz

I have come up with a simple, healthy, inexpensive range that fussy eaters seem to be able to cope with. I am childminder and often have eight or ten after school and it's just me.

Either, wholemeal pitas, wraps, or noodles (blue dragon do some good wholemeal ones that I buy through Suma).

Tomato Passata

Grated reduced fat cheese and low fat cream cheese

Batons of Cucumber, carrot, pepper

Bowl of sweetcorn

Variations - shredded chicken, Lamb pieces, Mince Sauce (often Quorn which goes down surprisingly well), vegetarian sausages.

Everything goes on the table (could use a buffet) and children choose what they will eat with encouragement from me to eat a variety of veg.

Sometimes I do pudding but only as a treat - cake for birthdays, wholemeal pancakes with lemon and honey (?), And there is always fresh or dried fruit available.

Now, this is probably a bit much for an after school snack but this plan has saved a lot of heartache (Mine) from rejected meals and turned up noses.

Good luck,

Honey

Hi

Does anyone offer free flow snack?

We struggle to do this as more often than not we offer hot food. Children normally queue up and get served when they come into club and as we are feeding over 40 children we have to get it done and out of the way to then be able to set up the room. Not managed to come up with any other way we can do this.

Hi

We provide Weetabix, Ready Brek, Cherrios, Corn Flakes, Shreddies, sometimes Wheetos for breakfast club, with milk to drink. We also sprinkle a little sugar on unsweetened cereals if requested. We also provide toast with jam, Marmite, honey and marmalade. We encourage children to be as independant as possible.

I would be interested to hear what other settings provide. To be honest I don't see too much wrong with this but I am always on the look out for ways to improve our provision and breakfast is on the list of things to review.

We could perhaps offer sliced fruit with the cereal and now that our kithen has been refurbished perhaps scrambled egg on toast, eggy bread.

I look forward to hearing other suggestions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)