Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creative Development Scale Point 6 Please Help!

Hiya,

last week i summited my EYFS profile data to the council and i didn't give ceative development scale point 6 to many children as i didn't have much evidence for this point. I have been aware of this gap for a while but don't seem to beable to get the evidence i need. I had a adviser in before the data was summited and she said i couldn't give CD 7/8 until i had given a child CD6 so now my CD data looks really bad with most children only scoring 4/ 5. I also don't teach music to my class as the school has a music teacher and she doesn't really follow a EYFS approach to music. The children also don't like her either so i think it might have put them off music! I have tried having a music week and doing other music things, i always have a big basket of intruments out and the children often take the cd player outside and dnace away to the music, we also sing songs all the time i think the problem lies with the wording of the point and my lack of understanding of what its asking!

i just wondereing what kind of things do people do or set up to help get evidnce for CD6 for what type of evidence do you have for SD6 as i think i might be being too harsh when not giving it or over complicating the point! I just can't seem to get my head around it and now stressed myself so much about it, im just all confused!

any help much apprieciated Thank you

Emma

I am not a music expert at all. I observe my chidren in Dance sessions when we may be moving to music on a CD - do they respond inaginatively, creatively, show originality? Also a'moods' CD where the tempo changes - does their movement change in response? We also do movement sessions in classroom and dance to current popular music and they sometiems bring in their own - Mama Mia/JLS at the moment, and make up little routines.

I have a permanent music table and change instruments during year, we sometimes use these during rhyme time to promote names of instruments, handling etc and take turns to accompany a favoutrite rhyme or song, which they tend to revisit during CI time We do steady beat work with beat baby, clap, stamp, tap. We have big sweet tins and washing up brushes outside they like to use to beat and chant with. We did a focused task making shakers and they explored and discussed how the sounds differed with different fillers - discovered a little pasta made more noise than a bottle chock full of pasta, where it couldn't shake.

Try not to stress, easier said than done, just a job and we all try our best.

I'm not qualified to answer the meat of your query, but I thought the first three profile points had to be achieved before you could award points four onwards, however points 4 to 8 could be achieved in any order?

I know that point 9 can only be achieved if the child has achieved points 1 to 8, but I seem to remember being told this when the lady from National Strategies came to talk to our EYP network about the OAP cycle, and progress matters.

Or have I got it wrong?

Points are not hierarchical but in CD points 6 and 7 would have to have been achieved before point 8 as they contain elements needed for 8.

Will new profile be easier to interptret? On a course today where the consultant said the points may be come progressive in new profile.

Points are not hierarchical but in CD points 6 and 7 would have to have been achieved before point 8 as they contain elements needed for 8.

Oh I see, that makes perfect sense. I thought the OP was saying that she wanted to give 7 and 8 but couldn't because she hadn't given 6. Maybe I just need to read more carefully! :o

Ros Bayley (Lawrence education) uses a furry 'thing' - Beat baby which the children love, the furry thing is really just to get their engagement, then she has lots of raps the children join in with to keep beat - she says " research indictes that beat competency is a strong predictor for later academic success". She uses hands to clap, tap click, plastic plates and chopsticks, plastic washing up bowls and brushes - but you should try and go on one of her courses to get most out of it, she is brillaint, in my opinion.

Oh I see, that makes perfect sense. I thought the OP was saying that she wanted to give 7 and 8 but couldn't because she hadn't given 6. Maybe I just need to read more carefully!

no that is what i am saying i wanted to award some children 7 and 8 but because i haven't awarded CD6 i couldn't, this was becasue CD 7 and 8 have a music element and if they have not achieved the music scale point (CD6) they can;t have CD 7 and 8 thats what this moderation adviser said anyway.

she said once children have achieved CD 4, 5, 6 they can have CD 7 and 8 but not before because scale point 7and 8 conatin many elements and relate to 4, 5, 6 but this onl aplies to creative development.

Thanks i will look into ros baley

Emma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)