Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderation And Indicator 9's!

:o Well! just another day at the madhouse!

Today I spoke to my moderator who is coming in to visit on Mon... i told her that I have no indicator 9's in CD or CLL..... she said i should look at them again! Yes i have free readers, but their reading is stale and stunted. These are children who have been flashcarded from birth and who read like robots, it is really hard to achieve any kind of fluency, style or expression from these children. Therefore I have put them as ELG. In writing I also feel Indicator 9 is so high and I would not feel comfortable giving children such high levels!

I also think that Indicator 9 in CD is very hard to achieve, yes I have very creative children, but even so, i would not say that they are equiv NC 1-2 levels!

Could do with some advice...do you think on the surface I am being to hard, obviously it is hard to judge from an external position. But I would really appreciate hearing what other people have put.

Have you the indicator 9's?

Many thanks,

Dougal x

Dougal42

It's all very frustrating isn't it. In my LEA we've been told that the Year 1 teachers will have to follow the FSP until the children have completed the ELG's. This suggests that a large number children are not reaching all the ELG's by the end of Reception.

The Primary National Strategy also states that only 70% of children can be expected to achieve point 5 in 'Linking Sounds and Letters.' - now that's an interesting one...!

I'm surprised that your moderator expects to see a large number of point 9's. I thought that was awarded to almost gifted children! I'd be surprised if you have a whole class of them.

Hope your moderation goes well.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief as our LEA have decided our school doesn't need to be moderated.....for the time being!!

Regards

Dougal

I am also a moderator

Have you seen FAQs on PNS Foundation site?

LGM

:o Well! just another day at the madhouse!

Today I spoke to my moderator who is coming in to visit on Mon... i told her that I have no indicator 9's in CD or CLL..... she said i should look at them again! Yes i have free readers, but their reading is stale and stunted. These are children who have been flashcarded from birth and who read like robots, it is really hard to achieve any kind of fluency, style or expression from these children. Therefore I have put them as ELG. In writing I also feel Indicator 9 is so high and I would not feel comfortable giving children such high levels!

I also think that Indicator 9 in CD is very hard to achieve, yes I have very creative children, but even so, i would not say that they are equiv NC 1-2 levels!

Could do with some advice...do you think on the surface I am being to hard, obviously it is hard to judge from an external position. But I would really appreciate hearing what other people have put.

Have you the indicator 9's?

Many thanks,

Dougal x

32074[/snapback]

I have SOME level 9's.

I thinks it's quit easy to achieve 9 in NLC. Though almost impossible for children to achive 9 in reading or writing.

I think out of 54 children we'll have 2, maybe 3 that will achieve 9 in reading this year.

I think the problem with the level 9 scale points is that they are so vague and wooley.

Refering back to what someone said higher up, about LSL5, is that he one about 'naming and sounding letters of the alphabet'?

Hmmm... maybe it's LSL4... but I have a few higher ability children that have got 1-8 and would maybe achieve a 9 in LSL but can't because they can't NAME all the letters of the alphabet... they know all the sounds, but not the names.

Something we need to work on.

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES!

Hi LGM and welcome x

Well, its odd paul parkie because my lower ability group of children can name the letters but not remember the sounds!

They have all been taught the ABC at home and are unable to move away from it.

I have started to incorporate the extra activities as suggested in the new 'sounds folder'....I am worried though as its halfway through the summer term and I have 3 children who are unable to phonetically sound anything as they are unable to retain sounds- even working with Jphonics!

Tomorrow should prove interesting.....I will keep you posted!

And Susan....thankyou for your words of wisdom yet again!

Dougal x :D

Mousebat.......was it your LEA that has said that the year one teacher's must still work with the profile until the ELG has been reached?....Our yr 1 teacher didn't even bother to look at last years profiles...I know this as they were still in the sealed bag that OFSTED took away with them in Sept!

:o

Hey Dougal42

Yes, the LEA advisors have recently told us this. Complete about turn from a few years ago!!

Last September, the year 1 teacher didn't bother to look at the profiles. Maybe I should fill all point 9's on every child's profile and see if she questions it!! I found that strange as she was a FS teacher and would know what we all go through filling out the booklets.

Regards

hi Dougal, Good luck tomorrow then and let us know how it goes!

Its always been my experience that children know names rather than sounds because of parental input but the children who struggled with JP also found it difficult to name the letters.

• 1 month later...

LGM again

There was a link to the p levels and NC levels on the standards FKS site. It roughly equated reading 9 to a 2C, LSL 9 to a 2C (I suggest these are just threshold 2C's) Writing 9 to a 1A.

Not only do children need lots of experiences in relation to real opportunities to be creative (not Blue Peter - make on like me or 30 copies of Monet) they also need to be able to verbalise their choices and discuss the techniques / responses/ tools and materials they have chosen.

Have you seen the inspiring creativity case studies on

www.surestart.gov.uk/inspiringcreativity -they are worth downloading.

I am so impressed that people take time out to support and help each other..............keep up the good work

Lisa

On the point of knowing letter names v sounds, I didnt award this point at all as we only work on letter sounds, but was recently told on moderation that if the children can sing the abc song then I should tick off this point.

I think that's really silly, myself, but they were also saying that if you've exposed a child to a range of cultural events, relevant boxes should be ticked off. I contest that exposure in no way constitutes even a developing understanding in some children, but there you go. Are the LEA's feeling under more pressure that Reception class teachers?

Dianne

We do JP and I haven't really 'done' letter names ( going to rethink this for next year now). So only ticked for 2! I think I have been extra cautious in all areas. Have one 9 for one child.

Am bothered that am gonna come out too low now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)