Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Noisy Nursery!

Hello everyone

We've recently moved into newly refurbished premises after 6 years in a seriously grotty community centre. We're really thrilled with our new building but have one problem. The pre-school room for 24 3-5 year olds has brick walls (painted) plasterboard ceiling and vinyl covered floor with a few rugs. The noise is incredible! When everyone is inside you feel like you are constantly battling to make yourself heard. This is only from the usual noise of 24 children and 4 adults. I know that curtains and carpets would make a difference but the room is lovely and bright and I don't want to hang curtains at our big windows. Does anyone have any solutions? We haven't got round to display boards yet and I'm hoping this might absorb some noise/echo but I wondered if anyone had any bright ideas? Does anyone know about acoustic ceiling tiles? They sound scarily expensive...!

Beehive

just some ramblings suggestions.....

could you hang curtains wide of the windows so that they open and leave maximum window light (dont forget the savings in heating the place if curtains have been closed on the night its easier to warm the place next morning)

what about putting up large fabric wall banners, they don't need a lot to hang from a wall but would probably make a difference, if you have some creative mums(or anyone else for that matter) you could have a banner making session as parent/partnership group (a bit like the story sack groups some settings have)

lots of soft furnishings, cushions in the book corner, rugs and scatter blankets

what are the ceilings like could you drape material across like an indoor canopy effect? even if its is just in one part as a feature or special interest area such as the role play or book corner

if none of the above are possible maybe some pop up tents or create dens might help to provide quiet corners where the children can sit away from it all

we are in a big church hall and the acoustics in our hall are terrible for playgroup sessions but fantastic for church performances so they wont allow us to change anything we've found tents and dens to create quiet corners very effective

Hi Alison

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I like the idea of wall banners...very creative! You are obviously in the same boat, so I will try the tents and dens idea too.

Thanks again

Beehive

• 1 month later...

Hi

Can not believe I missed this post.

We were in the exact same position, moved from a grotty falling down community centre to a lovely light refurbished pavilion.

The noise from children was incredible, couldn't hear yourself think let alone hear what children were saying to you.

We hung curtains but had them pulled open and yes it did make a little difference, we bought display boards that were hung from the walls (so we could take them down each day to store) bought lots of cushions, carpets etc etc but still the noise and especially the echo was deafening!

Have finally found a solution, we have had to have fitted to the ceilings square panels especially made to absorb noise, had some fitted last week and it has made a difference, more to be fitted over summer holidays. Can not remember name of company but I will find out tomorrow for you.

Cost approx £4000.

Debster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)