Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Special Needs Pmld

I run an assesssment nursery in a special school. The children come into the nursery at age 2 years to be assessed by myself and a team of health professionsals, which ensures that they are placed in the school which is most appropriate for their needs.

The numbers and type of client change, and can range from MLD, SLD to PMLD. We also have children on the autistic specturm as well as those with syndromes etc.

The foundation stage is very new, and it has tried hard with the footsteps to show progression as the child develops.

Unfortunately, most of the children I work with are well below the first footstep and are working within the p levels. Planning for these children is quite difficult, especially if the work is to be meaningful.

I anyone has any ideas for planning and activities that they would like to share, I would be happy to do the same.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Rosie Jackson. :D:o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rosie

I am an area SENCO and I support a setting very much like you are describing. they have developed a profile linking to the birth to three matters which they will use until the child is starting their pre-school year. this is working well - have you seen the birth to three matters pack?

other than this you can look at P levels or PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting) developed by Lancashire Education department, I have given you the website address if you want to find out more, what this does is give you very small steps before the foundation stage kicks in - it is a recognised resource.

www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/ pivats/services/intro2.asp

hope this helps

lesley

Thanks Lesley,

It's nice to know there is someone else out there that has the same kind of children that I do. We use the P scales (the whole school does and so I must too for continuity). I also use PIVATS, which are good for setting small steps targets when you have children that are working within the P scales. They are not totally 'foundation' friendly, but the best I have found so far. I will also look at the 'birth to three matters' which incidentally has just landed on my desk.

Thanks for your interest.

Rosie xD:D:o

• 5 months later...

Hi, I am a nursery nurse working in the early years with children with ASD, I have 1 boy who is four and a half and has multiple complex needs and is very aggressive towards staff and children, we decided to set up a sensory curriculum for him from researching the internet, and although this is a good start we now need other activities/ideas to try if any one can help please do... :o

Hi Rosie I also work in an assessment nursery and I use A Guide to interactive Assessment with young Children by Newcastle City Council. This was devised by the Educational Psychology service.

• 1 year later...
I run an assesssment nursery in a special school.  The children come into the nursery at age 2 years to be assessed by myself and a team of health professionsals, which ensures that they are placed in the school which is most appropriate for their needs.

The numbers and type of client change, and can range from MLD, SLD to PMLD.  We also have children on the autistic specturm as well as those with syndromes etc.

The foundation stage is very new, and it has tried hard with the footsteps to show progression as the child develops.

Unfortunately, most of the children I work with are well below the first footstep and are working within the p levels.  Planning for these children is quite difficult, especially if the work is to be meaningful.

I anyone has any ideas for planning and activities that they would like to share, I would be happy to do the same.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Rosie Jackson. :D  :o

1825[/snapback]

Hi from me, Sonja - and anyone else who has joined in the last week or so,been incredibly busy and then off in Cornwall for the very beautiful wedding of two of my dearest friends.

But I'm back now, and raring to get to know you all!

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)