Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bitchiness Among Staff

If there is anything being said or done directly to you by other people that makes you feel uncomfortable about being in work, and is not part of your colleagues role to criticise and help you improve your practice then it could possibly be labelled as bullying, but without more info i wouldnt like to say that. in any case if it is upsetting you and effecting your ability to do your job, which i would say it is since youre asking for advice, then you should definitely have a chat with your line manager or someone that you trust that can speak up for you.

Before you do, try and make a note of the times, situations and what has been said within context and keep a copy for your own records.

Good luck :o

Ali x

It can be difficult to draw the distinction between general unpleasantness and bitchiness and bullying, and I think you need to be very clear about what behaviour is being displayed, and what the effects of this behaviour are upon the person on the receiving end.

I did a quick search and found a www.bulyonline.org which has a section about workplace bullying here. It might help.

It can be difficult to draw the distinction between general unpleasantness and bitchiness and bullying, and I think you need to be very clear about what behaviour is being displayed, and what the effects of this behaviour are upon the person on the receiving end.

I did a quick search and found a www.bulyonline.org which has a section about workplace bullying here. It might help.

Thank you all. It's hard to put into words but there is a constant atmosphere, the staff are all full of life and over the top with the reception staff and are completely different with me. I'm actually the line manager and they're a bit put out that I'm back, I've been told about things they've said about me which doesn't help! I've asked if everything is ok to which the reply is "no fine". There's lots of furtive looks and looking through me as well as telling me how to teach as every lesson the R teacher does is fantastic! Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? All I know is that I feel undervalued, paranoid and an emotional wreck. I used to have loads of enthusiasm but it's all gone!

Who is your line manager?

You may be theirs but there is someone above you, presumably?

Good luck, it sounds as if this is causing you lots of distress and affecting your ability to work. Have you thought about teacher support network?

Who is your line manager?

You may be theirs but there is someone above you, presumably?

Good luck, it sounds as if this is causing you lots of distress and affecting your ability to work. Have you thought about teacher support network?

Deputy Head is aware of my feelings, I'm probably a little hormonal as I've returned after maternity leave- but I'm not imagining the atmosphere. What is a teacher support network?

Oh dear! Not a nice thing to come back to after your maternity leave.

The Teacher Support network is a group who provide support to teachers including a confidential phone support line. Their website is

http://teachersupport.info/

It maybe that whilst you have been away there has been a bit of a power struggle between those staff to fill your shoes so to speak - perhaps it might be time to go in and be tough and tackle them head on - perhaps a meeting with everyone about the atmosphere and say it has to stop or tackle everyone individually as it occurs. It is hard to do but it will re-establish you and your role now you are back and give the message that you do not wish it to continue. (I'm feeling rather brave today after having had to have a very difficult conversation with a colleague yesterday -scary but I did it!) If you did, could you take the DH with you to present a united front and show that they have aware? Perhaps there is a next step/consequence if it continues - formal warning etc?

Good luck - less than 6 weeks to the end of term!