Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Apprentices - Why Not

Can anyone tell me as childminders if you have managed to secure funding as an apprentice to get your level 3 and if so who was your training provider?

If anyone is interested as a childminder in participating in the new Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young Peoples Workforce in the North East of England can you e mail me direct sheilaturnbull@teeac.freeserve.co.uk as we are making a lobby for a government change to allow childminders/foster carers to be allowed to do the new qualification

hiya sadiesmith, just found a company in the borough of sefton called northwest community training services ltd which are helping me do my DCYPW level 3 from home. Which Im really pleased about as was about to buy an online course for £££s!!

let me know if I can assist further ? :o

I am puzzled the new level 3 Diploma does allow childminders to participate - it even has a seperate section CYPOP5 as an optional unit for childminders to take on board if they wish.

Why are you lobbying government? If your colleges and training providers are not allowing you to do the course then the fault lies with them. Childminders already work in a supervisory capacity and can undertake all the units. The only time I have come up against companies who will not allow childminders onto the course is that they said they were not insured to go into individual houses alone to do observations for safety reasons.

Who is actually telling you that you cant do it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
childminders are already "allowed"to do the new diploma!

The Apprenticeship, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009 (ACSL Act 2009) introduced the legal requirement to have a specification for Apprenticeship standards which would detail the minimum statutory requirements that all Apprenticeship frameworks should meet. The final SASE received ministerial approval and was published on 22 January 2011 and came into effect on 6 April 2011. The ASCL Act 2009 also states that under Standard Completion Conditions, all apprentices must be employed.

CWDC is awaiting the decision from ministers regarding the approval of Alternative Completion Conditions for both childminders and foster carers - two large groups of workers in the children and young people's workforce who are traditionally self-employed and as such would not be eligible to access apprenticeships under the Standard Completion Conditions. Unfortunately, decisions around Alternative Completion Conditions have been postponed until Autumn.

I have had a letter from the Dept of Business saying there are significant opportunities to be employed in childcare so do not think it will apply to childminders. Lets fight back!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)