Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminding - Is It For Me?

Guest LucyQ

Guest LucyQ

Hi there

I work in a pre-school as a playleader and love working with children but I am getting increasingly frustrated with working under a committee - I want to be my own boss and make ALL the decisions about MY provision. But I'm a bit worried that I might not appreciate what is involved.

How many hours do you work? What kind of support do you get? Would I need to drastically change my home and would it be good enough!!!?

Also if you have children has it affected them?

Lucy,

I used to be a childminder before becoming a playleader. The reason I changed was exactly for some of the reasons you are asking about. It's very late just now but I will get back to you tomorrow with some of the pro's and con's from my point of view. :)

Lucy,

I guess I did things the opposite way round to you - going from childminder to playleader. :D I know exactly why you are fed up with committees but I still would prefer to work in the playgroup than go back to childminding.

The main reasons I stopped were that

a) My home didn't feel like my own. There were a number of breakages of some of my precious things/electrical items/my childrens toys caused by minded children. There were a couple of occasions when minded children stole some of my childrens toys.

b)It was very isolating - alot of the time I was at home alone with small children all day with no other adult company and I didn't fancy trying to take 3 small children under 5 years old out.

c) My own children had to share their toys etc and had no choice but to put up with and play with the minded children.

d) Parents used to take advantage despite my trying to run it as a professional business. Either they would cancel at the last minute/change arrangements/turn up very late to pick up. And even though they signed a contract there were some parents who got quite annoyed about paying for their childs place when they didn't come through sickness or for other reasons. One mum used to regularly ring me up at the time she was supposed to be picking up her children and tell me she was going to be an hour late and could I just give her children some tea. The one time I really did snap with her she broke down in tears and told me her friend had just died so I felt awful.

e) In my area childminders are very cheap so there wasn't much money to be made unless you either had quite a few children or worked for a large number of hours.

Sorry - this is painting a very negative picture. :o The upside is that there is no committee but you've got to weigh up whether that is enough to offset the bad points and only you will know where your priorities lie. :)

I am a childminder and am also in Devon. I LOVE the fact that my provision is as good or as bad as I make it. The buck stops with me and that is the whole point of being self-employed for me. There is no limit to what I can do and learn as a childminder. It really doesn't matter how fancy your home is as it's what goes on inside it that is important. A vision of how you want your care and education to be led and lots of good solid intuitive love and care for the kids and bags of imagination is worth more than any pre-fab super duper nursery you can name.

You can work as many or as few hours as you wish - but as with any new self-employment you will put in loads more planning and admin hours in the first year or so.

The hardest thing for me is dealing with the behaviour of my own child. I don't know the answer to that one, but know for sure that childminding would be a LOT less stressful if I didn't have a 3yr old of my own to include in the daily schedules!

If you need any more info. please ask. My viewpoint is not typical of everybodies by any means, but I have found childminding to be very liberating and challenging!

Hi there

I work in a pre-school as a playleader and love working with children but I am getting increasingly frustrated with working under a committee - I want to be my own boss and make ALL the decisions about MY provision.  But I'm a bit worried that I might not appreciate what is involved. 

How many hours do you work?  What kind of support do you get?  Would I need to drastically change my home and would it be good enough!!!?

Also if you have children has it affected them?

31851[/snapback]

Hi I actually do both, I'm a reg. childminder for half the week and deputy playleader at preschool for the other half!

I have been childminding for 14 years but got a bit fed up with the lack of adult company, however I like the fact that I can still go to the bank, shop etc albeit with children in tow. I do sometimes resent all the comings and goings to my house but thankfully parents have never taken advantage of my services. I always look after the children of school teachers so that I have all the school holidays free. This is a big advantage although I dont get paid in the holidays!

For the last 4 years I have been working at preschool and I'm currently taking nvq3. I really enjoy working away from home and being with other adults and I find the 2 jobs compliment each other. Maybe you should try that first before making the complete change? Good luck anyway

Sandie

Guest LucyQ

Thanks for your replies. Its good to get different view points and has given me lots to think about. Thanks again. Lucy

• 1 month later...

Hi I would like to add my pennyworth

I am now a Childminding Network coordinator, I was a registered childminder for 16 years and I loved every day of it

I was lucky that I did not have many issues with children or parents but to be honest I think that was mostly down to my attitude towards them

I laid out what was to be expected from me and what I expected from the parents

My expectation was that children would behave in an acceptable manner towards each other and the enviroment

unaccepetable behaviour was dealt with in a positive way ie removing child or item facial expression and body language used to show approval or disapproval - lots of praise for acceptable behaviour

there is a lot of support now for anyone becoming a Childminder

in our area you have to complete an Introducing Childminding Practice course before registering (within 6 months of registering) this helps you to prepare for the dreaded Ofsted

there are Childminding Networks which provide support as well as reassurance for parents that thier Childminder is Quality Assured and able to provide the additional service of nursery education sessions

there is also a Childminding support scheme which buddies up experienced Childminders with newly registered Childminders so that you have some body to talk to, take you to drop ins organised just for Childminders and thier mindies

there are some excellent Childminding groups who support each other meet up plan trips help each other out in emergencies etc

so it does not have to be isolating

there is also in our county and I think in most others a County Childminding association run by Childminding volenteers who also support and provide training opportunities

and not forgetting the Early Education and Childcare unit who provide lots of free training (not always at the most convienent times but that is another issue) to help all Childcare providers develop their setting and their own professional development

having said all that if I was you I would try and speak to as many Childminders in your area as you can, find out how easy it is to fill vacancies what the usual rate is etc

think about the hours you would like to work, term time only ? how practical would that be?

think about your home and family how will it be affected?

I never had a separate play room but it would have been a big bonus - at least you can shut the door on it ! I put every thing away in a cupboard at the end of the day- and hubby still has not got his shed back completly!

hope this helps any more questions ask away I am sure there are some more Childminders lurking away here somewhere who can share thier experiences

Karen :D

• 7 months later...

I am also a registered childminder, who's going to put her point across.

Childminding is what you as a person makes it, I have been childminding for nine years and have a very good friend who introduced me to childminding, and we see each other two to three times a week. this is my adult conversation!

We also attend a Toddler Group once a week, and every other week we meet at a local pre-school with other childminders, I would say that I do not feel isolated at all, not only have I other childminders to talk to I have the full support of a childminding Develpment Worker if I have any issues which is one good reason to be part of a network.

I fully enjoy my job, sometimes I find it stressful lbut that is due to my daughter who is coming up to 4 (18!!!!), but I know this will get easy once she starts school in September.

With regard to the comment about your own children having to share their toys, my children no if the toys are downstairs then the childminding children will play with them, if they are in their bedrooms the childminding children are not allowed.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)