Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Stage Units

WChurchill

I am possibly being involved in setting up a FSU. I need to complete a presentation as to what are the benefit or not of this type of organisation of nursury and reception classes together. I would be a small unit, about 20 children and 10 Nursery. Are there any articles I could look at? Thanks in advance for any help. :o

Didn't want to 'read and run'... however I'm afraid I have no experience in this area, I'm sure someone will come along soon to help you.

Sorry can't help but look forward to replies - I work in a FSU and haven't got a clue about how it should work!! That sounds awful I know but the Unit Manager is of the firm belief 'Knowledge is Power' therefore, instead of sharing she tells me what she wants done or what I should be doing (its never what she wants) - sorry I've had a bad day today! Hope someone comes forward soon x

Sorry, that last post sounds very negative! I know FSU's are very popular at the moment but personally I don't like them, talking from my own experience of course! If you do a google search you will find lots of info, you will also find opinions of both teachers and parents. Some of those I've read feel their children are being 'dumped'.

I feel with so much pressure on Reception teachers to ensure children achieve, working as a unit makes this more difficult. With the best will in the world children can not concentrate on hearing sounds, counting out or writing when all the children around them are playing with toys!! I also find it difficult to work with a Reception group when you have constant interruptions from Nursery children who are still very needy and deserve your attention. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong!

Thanks for that. I know what you mean by knowledge is power. I guess you need a really good team in units so not sure about her keeping info to herself!! I'm looking forward to hearing other personal experiences. :o

Ive worked in an FSU twice, one very successful and one not so, to the point that we only lasted one year as a unit.

I have to say I loved working that way, the fact that we could share resources, children settled quicker especially if they had siblings, and it was easier to differentiate what we were doing.

But some early considerations involve:

• the physical space, can it actually work as a unit?
  • Staffing, an FSU is not an excuse to manage on minimal staff.
  • Numbers of children in each age group.. top heavy reception numbers can cause difficulties
  • are staff on board and planning ahead is really important, it cant just 'happen'

Good luck with you discussions, have you got any other units locally that you could visit?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)