Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Rotas

Have new job managing Day Nursery. I can cope with EYFS, ofsted etc - fine.

But staff rotas are really worrying me, it has been a long time since i had to do these.

There are 3 rooms and 15 staff. At the moment the shifts are different each week.

Where do i start

Hi there,

Do you not have old ones to work from?

I have same problem right now. We are expanding so will have almost double the children we have at the moment but don't want to take on new staff as we have 50 going to school so come September we won't need them xD Every time I think I've worked it out I'll notice something like a person not getting a lunch break grrrrrrrr

And people think all we do is 'play' all day :o

Guest Spiral

We've created a fixed staff rota where each day the same person does the same thing. Then we have a daily sheet on the wall which has the days of the week and we add on any changes (such as someon doing indoors instead of outdoors).

Do also have a look at their contracts so you know what they are contracted to do - even if in practice their hours are different.

Best of luck,

Spiral

start from the basic as people have said - look at length of day to cover /numbers of children at beginning and end of day , then how many staff in each area that needs covering. You know you need senior staff to open and close - put them in first, and build it up around that. I have five shifts - 7.20- 3.50, 8-4.30, 8.30 - 5, 9-5.30 and 9.15 -6 and know how many staff I need on each so it works on a rotation. lunch breaks etc are at the same time for all staff in each shift( it's thier responsibilty to ensure they go on time - not mine!), so lunches are staggered , and I also am lucky to have two lunchtime supervisory staff to cover. It does get easier and the staff are quick to point out if you get it wrong! I find a month at a time is good as people can then plan thier doctors detists etc round their shifts. :o

Microsoft office offer a whole range of downloadable templates you could maybe tweak to suit your requirements.

Template categories list here

A staff rota type one I found here

I know people get concerned about downloading stuff from the internet but I have used this Microsoft site for template calenders, newsletters etc and their clip art is good too and mostly free.

Hope you find something you can use.

Something else to think about is trying to have at least one person who stays all day to give the children some continuity, to help them cope with the transitions of the day, someone who knows how their day has been, who knows if something happened in the morning which may have had some consequences in the afternoon. It's reassuring for the parents too to know that the person they handed over to will be there to collect from.