Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sleeping Baskets

I've seen pictures of one year olds using wicker sleeping baskets which look a lot like dog beds, and I wondered if anyone had any experience of them?

On one hand I like the idea that young children can choose to go into their particular sleeping basket whenever they want to.

However, I also recall something about the danger of encouraging young children to crawl into something which resembles a dogs bed, as if they have a dog at home and they do this, potentially a dog may get aggressive if a child invades what they see as 'their space'.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts you may have of this type of sleeping arrangement.

Thanks

Edited by Guest

Hi sam

You can read the previous debate about his here.

I support many nurseries with them, they don't 'look' like dog baskets and none of them have ever had an issue.

But read the debate and make up your own mind where you sit.

Thank you Mundia for pointing me in the right direction... how fantastic is the Italian equipment, so flexible ! Sadly out of my price range.

I have a couple of very soft faux fur cushions on my sofa which the children (and lots of adults) love to stroke. A baby I care for has taken to lying down on the floor on one when she's tired and has fallen asleep a couple of times before I've noticed. I'm thinking that rather than trying to catch her doing this and whisking her off to the cot I might view it as a variation on these baskets and try to encourage her to lie on a sleep mat in the room with us with it instead.

I couldn't afford the purpose built baskets but I don't really want her to sleep directly on the floor.

• 4 weeks later...

i observed a baby room recently which was so clam and flexible i would use it for my lids at the drop of a hat, they had wicker floor beds and when they needed to the babies crawled in and had a nap, no rocking to sleep no forced sleep time no crying cos they were too tired or didnt ant to sleep . it was wonderful i wish every nursery had them the emotional impact was amazing. of ourse the staff were wonderful but you cant change everything!!