Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Help!

Hiya guys, I'm currently on a temporary contract at my school and have applied for a permenent position. The job is for the class I am currently teaching (mixed foundationstage and year one). I've been invited for an interview and for one part of the interview I must read a story and carry out an activity with the class. When I originally applied for the temporary position I was asked to do the same task - I read Peace at Last by Jill Murphy and then carried out a music activity in which the children had to pick instruments to match the different sounds throughout the story.

I need some ideas for a book that will make the children go WOW and has a clear link to an activity.

Any ideas will be appreciated! My interview is on Wednesday 19th

Thanks, Charlotte x x

No it won't be my class as we have two mixed classes of foundation stage and year one children. However I do know the children as I taught the year ones last year and I teach all of the reception children for CLL and PSRN.

Thanks for that book idea. My class love the Christmas book by the same author - think it's called panta clause. Now I just need to come up with a great activity! X x

Hi Charlotte, do you have a favourite book or story you know is popular? It's usually better for an interview to be confident in what you know rather than launch into an unfamiliar story. that way you are likely to anticipate responses, and can be prepared or them.

It would be interesting to know if it is your own class you will be teaching or a class you don't know

Hi Mundia, it won't be my class but I do know the class very well. I love reading peace at last and rumble in the jungle but I did peace at last when I first came to the school in an interview for a maternity cover and I did a great rumble in the jungle activity for my final nqt observation a few months ago. Both of which incorporated drama and music so I was after a book that we could act out or go on an imaginary journey after reading it x x

Both of which incorporated drama and music so I was after a book that we could act out or go on an imaginary journey after reading it x x

I agree, going for a familiar title, seems to always work out better. I like all the classics, such as dear zoo (make animal masks or dress up?), hungry caterpillar (make a fruit salad for snack time?), tiger who came for tea (organise a tea party for the cuddly animals?)...

'Going on a bear hunt' can be acted out really well. Last year we set up the whole journey in the garden: grass matting, Blue shiny fabric for river (or could use real water, maybe in a tray?), cave (we had a large cardboard box with a cuddle big bear in it) and of course a big fluffly duvet at the end! The children loved it and wanted to walk 'round it all afternoon.

Good Luck!

Titania

I am sorry to disagree, but I often interview and I am soooo tired of the old favourites - The Hungry Caterpillar in particular. I think I would use something that will make me stand out from the crowd. perhaps something multicultural? Jamella's dress springs to mind - and could lead to activities wiyth fabrics.

Good luck with the interview

Gruffalo2

"Here come the Aliens" is popular--could relate it to almost any curriculum area.

i second this recommendation! This book was the main part of my supply teaching survival kit! I used it with all age groups and just varied the activity slightly and it always went down well.

My year 1 lessons went something like this:

Read the book, stopping occasionally to ask the children to look at the pictures and describe what they can see (The page with all the different planets is really good for this). I also usually stopped at the word 'gaseous' and asked them what they thought it meant, pointing out the gas coming out of the alien as a clue if needed.

Next we'd come up with a list of adjectives to describe aliens on the board and practise writing simple sentences e.g. The alien is stripy. I'd leave this list up on the board for the children to use if they need inspiration in the next section of the lesson.

Next they all went off to make their own alien books using a template with a different alien on each page. I always emphasised that their text and illustration had to match. So if they say the alien is purple and spotty the picture has to be of a purple spotty alien.

Another option if this would take too long is to make a wanted poster for an alien with a description underneath, either with the children drawing their own picture or with a colour photocopy from the book for them to describe.

For the plenary I would invite children to read their book to the class (or read it for them if they preferred) and ask the rest to say what they liked best about it.

You could also have some alieny things out in continuous provision, e.g. green jelly in the water tray.

I hope some of this is useful and good luck with your interview. make sure you let us know how you get on x

here_come_the_aliens_book_template.docx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)