Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recount Of A Trip

Hi

We have a trip to a local farm next week and following on from this I am to teach a Literacy lesson to be observed by my head the following day. I want a WOW! factor initially, and to be reasonably lively.......any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated?!!

:)

Hi steffi, welcome to the forum.

Think about what you are most confident about, as that's a good place to start. Looking at your title, are you thinking about some sort of discussion about the trip? Or would you prefer to do a writing focus? Or a bit of both perhaps?

Are there some lessons you have taught this year that you feel have gone especially well, and could you adapt those principles to this situation?

Good luck with it.

Hi mundia

Thankyou for the warm welcome:)

I am confident with retelling stories through actions (Pie Corbett stlye!!)I want to try to incorporate an active learning approach such as with the retelling of a story but to do it through a recount of the trip, i.e. an active discussion. My head would like to see evidence of writing also, but I do have some reluctant writers so I want to make it as interesting and exciting as possible to encourage this.

Steffi

If your children are confident users of signs re talk for writing then use these to make their own story of the trip to the farm.

So you could orally recap and make a plan with them, much like you might do when retelling a story and then get them to retell it using actions before taking it to writing?

Good luck.

It sounds like you have already got a good idea about what you want to do. Getting the children to think about the day so that you can build it into the story telling ..one day, first, next, after a while etc..whatever key language and actions you are using. If something amusing or eventful happens on the day, that will make it extra interesting. If the children are used to storytelling this way, the will be eager to respond.

Could you possibly use talking partners to get their key highlights of the day, and then use those (if you have a TA these could be written down), and then assembled in order to make your story, along with the actions.

Does that help at all?

That's great! Fantastic ideas!!I have been informed that the children will also have the chance to feed some of the animals- a good chance for talking about and creating a procedure mobile: children could design their own mobile picture (i.e. rabbit/pig), and underneath add simple procedures for how to take care of them.

I think I'll retell the trip with them the following day and then move onto discussing things they did (the procedure) and get them to make their own mobiles to show this.

Phew!

My children like using talk partners and pretending they are on the phone. They like telling Granny about what they did! Reluctant boys engage well with this aswell. Good luck.

Hi

on the Pie Corbett training I attended he covered a little bit about non-fiction writing and in particular gave an example for recounting a trip. You create a map just as you would for a story but is in the style of a list. The children can then use the same format for recounting any experience, we also used the same format successfully to work on writing instructions.

The map he showed us had:

Our trip to...

Last week (a drawn arrow) then a picture to represent where you went

First (fill in pictures to represent what you did)

Next

After that

Finally

It was great!

I use picture symbols as well as the signs for the key words first, next... so have these symbols down the side of my paper. I then made smaller copies which I photocopied for the children to use and they became very independent in their instruction writing.

That sounds amazing- thankyou for sharing that tip! I am a massive fan of Pie Corbett!I have so many ideas now.....I need to condense them now.

Thankyou all again :o

Steffi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)