Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shopping Lesson Observation

I have an interview on Monday and need to plan an activity lasting 20minutes on the theme of shopping for a reception class of 30 children. I have been told I have the use of an IWB so I think I MUST use it - have found a coin counting web page on another thread which I think would be useful. But any suggestions for grabbing their attention would be great any rhymes or songs also useful.

I have an interview on Monday and need to plan an activity lasting 20minutes on the theme of shopping for a reception class of 30 children. I have been told I have the use of an IWB so I think I MUST use it - have found a coin counting web page on another thread which I think would be useful. But any suggestions for grabbing their attention would be great any rhymes or songs also useful.

Bet you could find 5 currant buns song on there somewhere. Need to keep it simple. Vocab would include change, pennies, how many, less, all together...... This would be cross curricular and active. Mine like hiding games. Could put a few coins in the middle of carpet, 1 of each (large) - 1 child goes out of the room and take 1 away. Could have these displayed if children are not familiar with the coins. Don't forget the Bacon is a nice book and could lead on to literacy work e.g. shopping lists - could show a variety of lists for different purposes on the whiteboard. big book will help to keep them focused.

Bet you could find 5 currant buns song on there somewhere. Need to keep it simple. Vocab would include change, pennies, how many, less, all together...... This would be cross curricular and active. Mine like hiding games. Could put a few coins in the middle of carpet, 1 of each (large) - 1 child goes out of the room and take 1 away. Could have these displayed if children are not familiar with the coins. Don't forget the Bacon is a nice book and could lead on to literacy work e.g. shopping lists - could show a variety of lists for different purposes on the whiteboard. big book will help to keep them focused.

Also I have involved a TA when using don't forget the bacon. We have a little fun saying how forgetful I am and why I need a list. etc

Hi Mimi, long time no see, how are you doing these days?

I love the shopping basket but I dont have anything interactive for it. To be honest Id only use the IWB if it fits with what you want to do, rather than to contrive something to make it fit.

In short 'appropriate' use of technology

In short 'appropriate' use of technology

Can you just the IWB to dispaly your learning objective and success criteria, as use of ICT is a crucial caharacteristice of even a satisfactory lesson now, I dont think I would disregard it completely?

Good to see you around and posting Mimi and hope to hear that you have been successful at interview!

Thank you everyone for your replies. When put on the spot my brain went blank but I have a few ideas now so thank you for your help.

I haven't posted for a while as I have an impossible work load which is why I am looking for a new job.

Thank you everyone for your support.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)