Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing

Hi all,

Does the EYFS say that we can not use work sheets with preschool children to help them to learn to write. I know that the EYFS continues until the end of reception. We try to encourage children to write their names on their own paintings etc, but we always do it for them. I would hate to use something that is not allowed by ofsted.

Dorinda

Dorinda,

The EYFS sets up the expectations. Ofsetd inspect against these expectations, but do not "allo" or disallow anything.

With worksheets, the overriding philosophy of the EYFS is that it is play-based, and tailored to the individual needs of the child. Worksheets are often prescriptive, have only one right way to do it, and are not different for each child. There are ways to encourage children to write their names, starting with writing them big e.g. putting shaving foam on tables and letting them write their name with their fingers. Then smaller perhaps with whiteboards and pens. Alongside having plenty of chance for mark making in all areas.

That said, if a child has asked to be shown how to write their own name, you may want a particular resource, e.g. a laminated name label to trace over.

The Learning anf Development guides you through the stages of development and some appropriate activities to move children forward.

yes throw away the worksheets :( laminated names to copy over are ok as is staff writing the name and children (if they want too) copying or going over :o - but as Lola says best way is to get children to do it in sand/shaving foam/cornflour etc xD

Edited by hali

Generally, yes, through them away.

BUT, some children quite like them., I think something like a dot to dot might be OK for pencil control. My girls quite like activity books - not that they do them properly, mind!

Generally, yes, through them away.

BUT, some children quite like them., I think something like a dot to dot might be OK for pencil control. My girls quite like activity books - not that they do them properly, mind!

I quite agree lola, I think there's a place for everything. I have a mix, plenty of ops. for sand, foam etc. lots of ops. in the garden and laminated sheets are rgeat outside. I also put sheets in my role play school, children love the opportunity to give someone some work and then mark it! But we need to remember that our reception children have to move on, play based also great in year 1 but think of the pressures they are on to get children 'ready' for year 2 who still have to submit assessments for their children. yes i agree with play based child initiated but having been in this job for over 30 years and seen lots of changes think there's a place for both and would argue my corner with any ofsted inspector!

Enough said, going to enjoy my garden in the sunshine, even though I should be doing my reports!!

have a good weekend everyone

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)