Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planks Of Wood

I would like to buy some planks of wood for children to use in den making, imaginative play eyc, with crates, ropes, guttering etc. I just wondered where people had got these from? I was going to look at b & q or omewhere diy-y like that, but I thought they might be a bit prone to splinters and it would take forever to sand them down. I don't know much about diy or wood-buying, so I don't know if you can get smooth wood? Or smooth-enough wood? What have other people done?

I've just bought some from TP Activity Toys as they sell off their reject wood in their factory shop. It needs a bit of a rub down at the ends but is basically very good quality because it gets rejected for too many knots or being a bit bowed.

I can see you're not anywhere near TP which is near Kidderminster but you could look for other manufacturers of wooden play equipment and see if they do anything similar.

We have the slats off of a double and a single pine bed !!!!! They cost us nothing and are smooth and splinter free and give two manageable sizes - worth asking parents !

.......don't forget Ikea...................they usually have stacks of wood outside the store for people to help themselves to,so it might even be worth asking if they could keep pieces by for you?Also, pallets are brilliant! You can pull them apart to make loads of planks, they might be a little rougher, of course, but great resource!

Community playthings do lovely planks but are very expensive!!

We have used an assortment as suggested in other posts and love that it all brings variety to play! The children love using wood that they know has been left over from nursery jobs...makes them think they are continuing the good work :)

C.L.S timber from B&Q is great...although it's soft wood it has lovely rounded edges, quite chunky and very cheap - about £3 for 2-3 mtr lengths

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)