Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Taking On A New Deputy....

Hi All,

my deputy (inherited) has just given notice. Now, whilst this is possibly no bad thing and I see this as a chance to redefine to role and start afresh, I am wondering how other managers implement the position.

To set the scene we are registered for 25, open as Preschool 9-3 for children aged 2-4. I work 5 days with 2 1/2 in the office and the rest on the floor. Currently the supervisor also works 5 days with 1 in the office, I also have an admin assistant 3 days a week who takes care of all the finances, does a bit of printing, mans the phone etc.

I consider myself very lucky to have this staff structure, still have an enormous workload but I do know that most managers have to do what my admin does too! Much can be contributed to the supervisor not fulfilling the job requirements.

So, what I'm asking is, how many deputy's are employed full time? Is this ideal so that the job can be done satisfactorily or can it be achieved part time, for example in 3 or 4 days a week?

Trouble is, at the moment cutting the role to 3 days a week will save over £5000 a year, but would the knock on effect be worth it? The role includes Health & Safety, Behaviour Management, coordinating planning, fire and risk assessment, outings and resources!

Any thought welcome!

with the jobs you haver listed as areas of responsibility, I would expect it to be a full time role... I feel many of those are daily tasks , so part time would make the role more difficult to do these successfully, a lot is paperwork based.

if the role was less paper based and more hands on it would be possible for part time..

My deputy usually had just one role... depending on their strengths and was part time.. was a case of all level 3 staff so not needed to be in every day... and her role was usually hands on one, with manager /supervisor doing all the paperwork based ones... ( but that was one role not 2 so me!)

I have a part time deputy (3 days a week) and it works well. I have an appointed level 3 who will step in and Supervise if I need to go to a meeting or I am away on the other two days though.

I think if you have somebody leaving it's a good time to change things and employ someone for just what you need, rather than what you have always done in the past.

Sounds like you have admin support so may not need a full time nominated deputy.

my deputy works 3 days in the setting and 2 doing admin ...so she is part time in the setting though not part time in total!!! :o she is responsible for health and safety (+first aid supplies etc) ...i have one of her mornings off (in thory :( ) so we have 2 full days together and one half day. Communication is the key and the rest of the staff are aware that they may be required to pass on info if needed. (she also handles training but this is in her admin time) she has the same amount of key children as the rest of us...but no sen or extras! works well for us and means she is more flexible for training days xD

Interesting to see who many different ways the role is put into practice. I couldn't bear being full time in the office, I need those days on the floor to remind me of why I do what I do and keep me sane!

Possibly much of the problem stems from current deputy not fulfilling the role. For the last 18 months I've been split in two trying to manage and worrying about being on the floor to lead practice and monitor deputy! Not ideal :o

I don't know what direction to go in to be honest!!!! Maybe it will depend on the applicants.

absolutely...wait and see who you get and what are their strengths...all my staff are level 3 or above and have loads of experience if i didnt challenge them by giving them extra duties they would get bored and leave...my staff now try to do everything because they know if i get a sniff of them avoiding something because they find it difficult then they will be doing that 'problem area' until they no longer have an issue with it :o