Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adult Focused Activity

Hi what does everyone do for you adult focused activity? do you focus on one particular thing each week or do you change each day?

if you change each day how do you make sure each child has covered that activity if the children dont attend every session?

we have the same adult focus activity in the morning and afternoon session. sometimes these are changes for the next day but sometimes they are changes daily this depends on the children's interest in the activity on if the children take the activity in a different direction. I dont know if this makes any sense and if it is of any help to you x

we have a different one each day.

if somebody doesn't do it then it doesn't really matter, or we re-visit if we feel they would really benefit from it.

we have children who attend between 2 and 5 sessions so don't do the same focus all week as the ones who attend all week could be moved on - it works for us!

we have the same one all week - yes that does mean some children get to do it every day ( or a variation of it) but staff are aware of the children who need an extension to the original activity and do this - or they will split the group ( have two keyworkers per keygroup so can do this) where the more able/ones who are there all week go off and do something similar but different if you get my drift :o and the one who are only in a few sessions get the original planned activity.

We have 5 adult led plans on the board at the start of the week (ish :o ). These can then be picked up by any member of staff for morning and afternoon group activity time so we aim to have two a day. They can be repeated/extended as need be throughout the week but they are not always all carried out by the book, sometimes things just don't go according to plan and as Thumper says it's not the end of the world. If all the children are fully engaged we don't break up their play for an activity, it depends very much on how it goes on the day!

Hi

Also interested in this thread.

Can I ask - does everyone count their 'group time' as adult focused activity, or do they have an adult 'doing' a foucesed activity whilst the children are doing child initiated learning?

I do phonics in small groups and then do one or two foucused activities a week, whilst the children are doing child initiated learning. I try and make sure all 43 children do each activity. However, I always wonder how valuable this is, and would like to change some of my systems. As I have mentioned on another thread, there is me and two TAs in the morning, me and one TA in the afternoon, and children come a variety of sessions, some all day everyday, some just mornings etc. I

Interested in any ideas anyone has about managing focused activities etc?

Hi

Also interested in this thread.

Can I ask - does everyone count their 'group time' as adult focused activity, or do they have an adult 'doing' a foucesed activity whilst the children are doing child initiated learning?

I do phonics in small groups and then do one or two foucused activities a week, whilst the children are doing child initiated learning. I try and make sure all 43 children do each activity. However, I always wonder how valuable this is, and would like to change some of my systems. As I have mentioned on another thread, there is me and two TAs in the morning, me and one TA in the afternoon, and children come a variety of sessions, some all day everyday, some just mornings etc. I

Interested in any ideas anyone has about managing focused activities etc?

We have tried a variety of ways, and found the most responsive is after we have done our group time, we 'call groups' and the children go to their adult and can take part in an adult focussed activity. Some wander off straight away, but most are keen to have a go at what is on offer. So long as you are not telling them all how to do something the same with templates, and neither 'forcing' every child to stay and have a go, it covers PSED dispositions and attitudes if nothing else, there comes a point when children are keen to know more.. Within the National Strategies booklet about Play and exploration, it said it could be more efficient to have adult experiences seperate from child initiated time, so that the adults are all then free during CI time to enhance the play based learning. Our LA told our local foundation 2 class to go back to doing it this way also, as they were offereing adult experiences throughout CI time and interuppting the children's play to get them to come to the table.

HTH

Clare

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)