Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Help!

Guest lilvic

Guest lilvic

Hi there!

I have an job interview after the Easter holidays and am really stuck. I have to do an introductory literacy lesson (including using a smart board) for 20 mintues to 6 foundation stage children. Had another interview a few weeks ago and they really did not like my lesson so has knocked my confidence a bit and could really do with some help.

Thanks!

:o

Lilvic, try to remain calm and enjoy the holiday!

What was the feedback that you received previously that you say your lesson was not liked? Was it a literacy lesson and what brief were you given?

Remember, your last lesson did not suit the observers - YOU would not have been happy to work in that school. That does not mean your next lesson will be received in the same way. But you do need to determine for yourself what you want to teach and why otherwise the lesson will not be yours.

Get back to us when you have a few ideas and I am sure you will get lots of help.

I second what Susan says - every interview I've had where the interviewers didn't like my teaching (and there have been many), if I was brutally honest with myself was in a school that wouldn't have suited me.

Do you have any more information about the teaching they want you to do - objective/focus/range of children?

Guest lilvic

My previous interview was a KUW. They said it wasnt structured enough. I had left the activity quite open ended so I could go with the childrens ideas and discussion.

Its really nice to hear someone else say it wouldnt have been the right school for me....thanks! :o

I havent been given any more guidance apart from 6 children and a literacy activity. Having read the schools OFSTED they are really working on communication and language so thought about making it more focued around that area.

Had thought about basing my activity on The Hungry Caterpillar. I thought I'd share the story with the children then have a mini picnic with some of the foods that the hungry caterpillar had which we could talk about and taste and then think of words to describe these foods and write them together. Possibly not an explicit literacy lesson but I want to try and show a bit of creativity and get some other areas of learning in there.

Any feed back on this would be great.

xD

I think that sounds like a lovely idea BUT it does sound like quite alot to cover in 20 mins.

Also, how will you use the interactive IWB in that?

I would also be a bit worried about tasting as you dont actually know the children and whether there are any allegies.

As for the critiscms of your last lesson, open ended sounds good so dont fret too much on that score, remember they have to say something as to why you werent successful!

Guest lilvic

I was going to use the board to write their ideas on with pictures of the different foods, was only going to do around 4 different ones. Had planned to ring the school to ask if any of the children had allergies. But I may be over ambitious with the timing!

Thank you for the advice

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)