Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Area Per Child When Outside

I have a patio joining on to my room, and plan to use this now the weather is nice. Does the square foot per child apply when using outside areas like this. I measured it up and can fit 19.5 children on there.

sorry if its an obvious question, but my manager was unsure

hx

can you free flow... if so it is only added space for the children...

we never worried about outside area per child and Ofsted didn't comment when seeing all the children out in our small garden... we use it all year regardless of the weather and could not have freeflow so was a case of organising all to go out at set times...

in which case I would take it as additional space added to what is already in use.. so not worry about numbers.. they have the choice..

you would not restrict them all going to play in a small area indoors together.. its the children's choice... they have use of larger space but choose to play in a small one..

sorry for sounding thick! bhe reason but does it mean that if you are operating free flow that you can use count the outdoor space as well as indoor for numbers. The reason I ask is that we are in the process of having a new building done and would like to extend numbers .

We plan to have freeflow but thought the allocatd square footage only applied to indoor space.

The requirement is for insode space only as I guess the assumption is that if the weather is unsuitable all children will be inside so what is the safe number. Also (sadly) there is no requirement for a setting to have outside provision on site.