Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chicks And Incubators

dreamgirl

Guest rainyjaney

We're in Birmingham. Used Living Eggs recently which is, I believe a nationwide company. Not cheap (no pun intended!) but was money really well spent. They provide everything you need and masses of information.We hatched 8 chicks and managed to rehome 4. Living Eggs collect any which aren't rehomed. Absolutely brilliant experience for our children-and several classes in the adjoining school came to visit-and parents transfixed too.

Hi we have living eggs programme at the mo and we hatched 7 chicks there going tomorrow boo hoo, got rather attatched. I didn't organize it myself but I think I remember reading somewhere that it costs in excess of 200.

You can access information on www.livingeggs.co.uk/ support package is really good we had a chick that had egg shell stuck to its bottom and they were just at the end of the phone for advice. Would really reccommend it!

trasong

I bought an incubator off amazon for £99 and a brooding lamp for £50 then I got the eggs from the local farm £3.60 for 13 eggs. We now have all the equipment and don't need to shell out every year. The farm also take back any chicks or ducks after we have finished with them. I would highly recommend doing it this way.

Guest lou73

We have some in school at moment from the Happy hen company or the happy egg ? can't remember which but it was about £250 for eggs, incubator, support line and holding pen and lights.

x

Guest rainyjaney

Guess it depends where you are! It is perfectly possible to buy equiment and eggs for less than £245 which Living Eggs charge but as we are in inner city Birmingham we felt that finding a farm might not be that easy! Can't fault service Living Eggs provided .

Guest tinkerbell

I'm up north,yorkshire to be exact.We ended up buying our own incubator and we get our eggs from Meanwood valley farm.We have just hatched 14 out of 18,unfortunately one had to be 'put to sleep' as all its bottom was falling out.( this was all done when the children were not around)

We got eggs from a local farm last year but didn't have the high rate of success, it had been very frosty this time lastyear which apparently may have had something to do with it.

Our latest brood will go back to the farm on wednesday.One little chick we have named scruffy is very bald but holding his own,he is accepted by all the others and is a great teaching chick because he is different but the same!

good luck, welll worth doing ,although I now have to go back to school tomorrow and sunday to feed and water them!

Has anyone in a packaway raised chicks in this way? We'd love to do it, but won't be able to leave the incubator plugged in at our hall overnight, so would have to make the quick dash home with it every day.

I can't seem to find any information about whether this will be possible or not! :o

Has anyone in a packaway raised chicks in this way? We'd love to do it, but won't be able to leave the incubator plugged in at our hall overnight, so would have to make the quick dash home with it every day.

I can't seem to find any information about whether this will be possible or not! :o

yes, that's possible. My child's pre-school is pack-away and they did just that every year. Even mummy hens sometimes go off the nest for a short while xD it doesn't seem to harm the eggs.

I have very fond memories of the chicks running 'round the pre-school garden and the 3 and 4 year olds turning every stone finding tasty grubs for them. So cute!

x Titania

• 1 month later...

I'm in Essex, and we use Pets Corner in Harlow. They used to loan out their incubators and give you everything you needed for free, but I think they now ask for a hire charge. They take the chicks back to the farm once they have hatched. they are brilliant to work with. Didn't do it ourselves this year as I'm pregnant and it was ruled to be a bad idea to hatch animals in the classroom.

In the past though we have done observational drawings of the chicks, life cycle work, writing about what happened, writing about how we looked after the chicks. We wrote thank you letters to Pets Corner, and then we went to visit the chicks and we wrote about our trip. So lots of writing opportunities!