Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm Gutted!

Guest TinklePrincess

Guest TinklePrincess

Apologies for the length of this, I like to be thorough and thought yo;d need a bit of the backgroun!

Also, not sure which thread to put it in, forgive me if I put it in the wrong one!

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with the manager/owner at a nursery I'm currently on placement at (I'm there 2 days a week as part of my ECSD - EYPS degree).

The setting have got a wonderful little area in the 3-5 room, under the stairs, which has had the door removed so it seemed that the children would be allowed to use it as a little cosy-corner or nook/den. Through my observations, though, the children aren't allowed in here. The times when I have seen a child venture in, they have been removed and told off. It is basically a storage space for the cushions they use during TV time.

Well, after reading about den building and how important private spaces are for children, I suggested maybe creating a little cosy corner complete with those stick-on push lights for the walls, lots of blankets on the floor and cushions and a little basket of books (the children only have access to the scruffy dog-eared books in the book room when their group have been allocated the book room as an activity.)

The manager said that it sounded like a good idea (whilst trying to backtrack by saying that the children are allowed in etc etc) and said she'd speak to the downstairs staff about it.

The next week I arrived, after having spend my own money on the stick on wall lights and lots of batteries, to find that the downstairs staff had no idea what I was talking about and were a little peeved that the manager should have asked them as "it's us that're down here". Anyway, after explaining my reasoning to the staff, I went in to the little den area and stuck up the lights - I didn't have enough batteries and no-one seemed happy to help (not supposed to go in office alone) so I left it at that, happy that the children weren't meant to be in there anyway and they'd be safe until the next day.

I arrived the next day, armed with more batteries and went in to sort them out, only to find that they were just about all on the floor, broken off their sticky-backs - the little clips had been snapped and one was wedged behind a skirting board which had been pulled out, the lights were left on, too.

Now I'm not sure what had happened - obviously the children (or adults!) had gone in there unseen and made a right mess... Now I'm out of pocket because I tried to do something nice and it wasn't respected - I hadn't even finished it!

I'm absolutely gutted, I really wanted to create a nice little area. There is a light in there but the switch is too high for most of the children and I thought the push lights would make it really nice.

This was last week and no one mentioned it today when I went in, should I say something or just forget about it as a silly idea?

I don't think it was a silly idea at all, and especially as you are only there on placement and have spent your own money trying to do something exciting for the children.

It is entirely possible that while you were away the children did get in there a do this damage - we all know how strong they can be - mine pull stuck down brio train track on boards without any problem! But it is a shame that nobody has acknowledged what has happened - perhaps a quiet word with the manager - and might I add that this was a lesson learnt - this type of activity you have set up for the children should be discussed beforehand with the children - get them involved in the first place so that they know the "ground rules" to looking after it.

Sorry edit to say, just read that through and it does sound somewhat patronising - which I don't want it to be but I hope you get what I mean - I think children have to be involved from the outset with new exciting things so that they understand them

Edited by Panders

It is a shame when hard work and good ideas go to waste, I've been in similar situations and like you I used to come on here and have a rant and moan. :o

I do think someone should have mentioned it to you, professional courtesy would say say so anyway, but unfortunalty not everywhere is staffed by professionals!

Panders is right though, maybe next time you could discuss your plans with the children, asking them what they would like to see in there and get them to help you set it up by choosing books. Big pieces of cellophane blu tac'd over the lights could make a different ambience too.

I'd speak to the manager too, just to let her know its a dissapointment but you'll be back next week ready to try again. xD

Guest TinklePrincess

Thanks to both of you, I was starting to feel a little deflated (had a lot of problems at first with staff as they'd had bad experiences with EYP students before so kind of walked on eggshells for the first few months!)

I think I should have mentioned it to the children but was going to wait until later... Lesson learned!

I'll speak to the manager about it, whenever I get chance to see her, it took me three months of pestering to have a ten minute chat with her!! Oh well, I'm not there much longer... I hope my summer placement is better (my final ever placement... eek!)

I worked for a supply agency so got to see lots of different practice. I learnt that not everyone is dedicated and motivated to learn or to share good practice, some people are there for no other reason than they didnt know what else to do, young girls especially seemed to be there because someone had told them at school they should think about working in a nursery because they'd be good with the babies.

Some places had a management that was ineffictive or complacent and others where the manager was fighting a losing battle with staff who saw the job as something they did during the day but didnt want to think about once the door was locked at night.

You'll come across all sorts, I took the good ideas to the next setting and learnt from the bad.

I'm sure you'll do the same :o

Guest TinklePrincess
I worked for a supply agency so got to see lots of different practice. I learnt that not everyone is dedicated and motivated to learn or to share good practice, some people are there for no other reason than they didnt know what else to do, young girls especially seemed to be there because someone had told them at school they should think about working in a nursery because they'd be good with the babies.

Some places had a management that was ineffictive or complacent and others where the manager was fighting a losing battle with staff who saw the job as something they did during the day but didnt want to think about once the door was locked at night.

You'll come across all sorts, I took the good ideas to the next setting and learnt from the bad.

I'm sure you'll do the same :o

Rea, yeah I have decided to leave some of my more "adventurous" ideas for my next setting where I'm sure they'll be more appreciated!

And i totally agree with the young girl thing, most school or young college kids come and only want to be in the baby room where they're mollycoddling the babies and basically just sat cuddling all day! If only it was always like that - I tend to like the older children as I like to be able to converse with them! Students who think it's an easy career path to take are the ones who don't get past their NVQ level 2 usually, and you can tell them a mile off!!

I would assume that the children were allowed in the area and their inquisitiveness got the better of them when they discovered the lights, then when the lights "fell off in their hands" they possibly tried to hide the evidence tucking the lights out of sight at least this suggests that the children had been allowed in the area rather than kept as a no go zone as before

Id try not to take this all too personally staff are queer folk who rarely appreciate the enthusiasm of the placement student, what you see as doing a nice thing they might see as interfering or there might be a bit of jealousy why didnt they think of jazzing up the under stairs area.

keep up the good work and dont let this put you off trying again in the future

I would assume that the children were allowed in the area and their inquisitiveness got the better of them when they discovered the lights, then when the lights "fell off in their hands" they possibly tried to hide the evidence tucking the lights out of sight at least this suggests that the children had been allowed in the area rather than kept as a no go zone as before

Id try not to take this all too personally staff are queer folk who rarely appreciate the enthusiasm of the placement student, what you see as doing a nice thing they might see as interfering or there might be a bit of jealousy why didnt they think of jazzing up the under stairs area.

keep up the good work and dont let this put you off trying again in the future

Agree with that Alison, I soon learnt to bring up ideas in a way that made it appear it wasnt my idea at all, just something I'd seen somewhere and wondered if it would owrk at that setting. Its about asking the questions yuo think will get the answer you want. :o

Just wanted to add my support for your creativity. Even when things go wrong, you should still be glad you tried.

Our leader is on EYP placement at a day nursery and she is also finding it hard to reconcile the attitude and behaviour of some of the younger staff members in the baby section. It can be tricky when you know what 'good practice' looks like and you're on placement so it's hard to put your ideas forwards.

It does however make you question what your position is on these things, which is helpful for your future practice, if that makes sense.

Rea, yeah I have decided to leave some of my more "adventurous" ideas for my next setting where I'm sure they'll be more appreciated!

One for your Critical Incident/Reflective practice folder!!

Put it down to experience and start afresh on your next placement.

Nona

some people are there for no other reason than they didnt know what else to do, young girls especially seemed to be there because someone had told them at school they should think about working in a nursery because they'd be good with the babies.

When we read the prospectus for our local college I was horrified to see the entry requirements for Level 3 courses are:

* Childcare - 4 CGSE's at Grade C or above including English Language & Maths (Edexcel) OR

4 GCSE's - 2 at Grade C including English Language at 2 at Grade D (Cache)

* Theatrical & Media Make-up - 4 GCSE's at Grade C or above across a range of subjects

* Performing Arts (Dance) - 4 GCSE's at Grade C or above across a range of subjects

* Media Production (TV & Film) - 4 GCSE's at Grade C or above across a range of subjects

How VERY frightening!

Nona

I had a similar experience when doing my EYPS a couple of years ago. I wanted to introduce heuristic play into the baby room and the manager was more than happy for me to do this so I produced an information sheet for the staff, to explain what I was going to do, why I was doing it and how it would benefit the children.

I collected a boxful of items to use and left them in the office. The following week when I went to get them the box had disappeared. On asking around the staff, one person said, "Oh do you mean that box of rubbish? I threw it out."

This person is against anything different unless she instigates it but I was determined not to let her put me off. It eventually went very well and the staff in the baby room still have heuristic sessions.

I used the whole experience as one of my written tasks so it worked out well for me in the end.

Don't be put off. Just focus on the good practice you're doing and good luck.

Well TinklePrincess you seem opposite to any of the 4 college students I have at the moment. They are so lacking in initiative, they yawn all day long, they do not talk to the children. I do not include them in the ratios and am doing them a favour by even letting them in the setting.They just wind me up. Well actually I have 5 students the 5th is a 15 year old who comes to us 3 days a week and goes to school and college for 2 days. She has learning diffulties but has so much common sense and i am so glad that we have her. She contributes ideas to the planning which are very good. Oh well 1 out of 5 could be worse.

Guest TinklePrincess

Thank you all for your kind words and advice - I didn't even think of using this as evidence in my file (not sure I could fit a written task around it but like you said, reflective practice!)

I'm a bit of a go-getter and a big fan of the old saying "if at first you don't succeed, try and try again!"

I think what makes it hard is that the baby staff upstairs are amazing - the bay room is amazing - all tactile and free-flow, whereas the 2-5 staff are quite difficult and their nursery is very regimented (although not on paper :o )

Life would be boring if we were all the same though, wouldn't it?!

I'll keep you posted!