Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New School Intakes

How are the changes to school intakes going to affect your settings?

We are a pre school running(independently) on a school site. We are open for 10 sessions a week at the moment. Our afternoon session feeds the school that we share a site with(they have no nursery). Our morning is for younger children and children that will feed to other schools. We are going to see a huge dip in our morning numbers come september due to the changes.

The schools that have nurseries currently have 3 intakes so their nurseries have been having 3 intakes also. This means we have had a steady flow of children in our morning sessions. However due to the changes these nursery classes will be taking their full years intake in September leaving us with a handful(or unfunded ) 2 year olds.

Is anyone else in the same position? What steps are you taking to try to increase numbers?

The way things stand at the moment weare going to hve to let 2 staff members go and reduce the hours of the other 3.

Edited by Jeany

Along with the shortfall in funding once the EYSFF is implemented in ful this April, the single intake to school is the reason I am closing my nursery at the end of the Summer term. All my children are going to school, instead of the usual handful. I am such a small group, and losing 11 children all at once is a bit of a body blow, and one from which I just can't recover.

We have had 1 in-take for many years now for both school Nursery and Reception - yes we are always quiet in September usually because of ratios rather than lack of children but then by Christmas it has usually picked up.

As we are a charity run group, we have to focus on a lot of fundraising September to December to help carry us through.