Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent - Keyworkers Meeting

Hi everyone

Would really appreciate some input around parent and key worker meetings. We are trying to have them once a term.

While we are quite confident that we know our children I feel that we need a tick list/guideance so that we are all discussing similar things, I know not all children progress at the same rate etc.

The reason i ask is it seems despite having the rountine on show parents are still not sure of it and a few times this week they have been surprised to find out certain things.

Also I have a parent asking me to teach their child to play!!! And another who wants me to make them sit down and read and write.

I also have a member of staff unqualified and a another who I feel needs extra support around this, I also recieved feedback from the community to say they need to be more structured as all giving diffierent information last year. Does anyone have a format they use or any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

We do have a few - including discussing the rountine and commenting on how their children join in through out the session.

At my daughters' pre-school, the folders are there to look at, then staff just ask if you have any questions or concerns. Very informal, just a general chat.

sazz i am intrigued as to what you cover at the moment? we offer termly meetings (not many of our parents take up the offer, they seem happy to have the feedback on paper and write a comment!) but i couldn't tell you what i was going to discuss in any of them :o they are as individual as the children and often end up being a discussion about problems at home rather than their progress! :( but i see this as an opportunity for my parents to talk about what they need to rather than fitting in to my agenda. If i have staff who need support i get them to sit in on one of my feedbacks, then if ready lead one together, then them do one with me sitting there to help if needed...my golden rules for them NEVER bring up a problem you have not discussed with the parent before. start with a positive discuss any issues in the middle finish with a positive and be honest or you may regret it later xD

sazz i am intrigued as to what you cover at the moment? we offer termly meetings (not many of our parents take up the offer, they seem happy to have the feedback on paper and write a comment!) but i couldn't tell you what i was going to discuss in any of them :o they are as individual as the children and often end up being a discussion about problems at home rather than their progress! :( but i see this as an opportunity for my parents to talk about what they need to rather than fitting in to my agenda. If i have staff who need support i get them to sit in on one of my feedbacks, then if ready lead one together, then them do one with me sitting there to help if needed...my golden rules for them NEVER bring up a problem you have not discussed with the parent before. start with a positive discuss any issues in the middle finish with a positive and be honest or you may regret it later xD

To be honest we do it that way too at the moment. However, this member of staff has parents who we are struggling to get them to get them to understand the EYFS and want us to do things very differently. One wants to know when we will teach her child to play!! So I need her to be confortable in meeting with this parent as I know the issue will come up again despite me already chatting to mum about this. She mentioned it again last week to a different member of staff hoping for a different response.

To be honest we do it that way too at the moment. However, this member of staff has parents who we are struggling to get them to get them to understand the EYFS and want us to do things very differently. One wants to know when we will teach her child to play!! So I need her to be confortable in meeting with this parent as I know the issue will come up again despite me already chatting to mum about this. She mentioned it again last week to a different member of staff hoping for a different response.

i think in this paticular parents case i would go through their childs learning journey -show them their child at play, tell them what they really enjoy at playgroup, show them examples of their art work etc. maybe chat a little about the eyfs -how it is child / play based. , so i would ask the parent what their child likes to play with at home, thier favourite toys /games /books etc -then use that info to plan sessions.

We started this last term (Autumn) and we loosely based it on where we felt each child was with regard to the EYFS age ranges. We could then talk about what each child was able to do comfortably, what they needed support or encouragement with and what their next steps could be.

The uptake from parents was great about 85% asked for a meeting with the key person.

Some needed more information about EYFS in general and what the children were supposed to be doing but we were able to show this using Development Matters which is what we highlight and date to show progress.

Feedback was very good so we are planning to do this twice a year from now on.

Rachel

We offer these each term and allocate a time slot one evening or a day appointment if they can't do evenings. I ask all the key persons to prepare a summary of their key child's progress, so they know what they are going to talk about in advance.

(This is just a bullet point list for each of the 6 areas of development).

If it transpires there is a child with a developmental delay I arrange that the SENCO is available to support the key person talking to the parent.

Very often the parent just wants to know the child is happy and they are usually amazed at all the paperwork we have to complete!