Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Milk Allergy

Hi all

i need your help i have a little girl starting this week who has a milk, egg and cheese allergy so basically dairy and i am finding it really difficult to find snack that isnt too expensive and that fits around the normal everyday snack that we have. We have toast monday, cereal bars tues, crisps wednesday, crackers thursday and biscuits friday obviously with fruit and mily/water as well. I have had a little look in the supermarkets but am finding it really hard. does anyone have a child in their setting with this allergy who could help me please.

all suggestions would be much appreciated

thanks kate :o

over the past few years we have had ( and still do have ) children with dairy allergies and other allergies, so we have always had healthy snack which consists of fruit and or raw vegs, toast with dairy free spread, breadsticks usually made with olive oil so ok - but check packaging, and if on rare occasions we have biscuits rich tea is a good bet as most brands are dairy free. Watch the crackers as a lot of them have dairy in them, vegetable crisps are a good option, and you will probably have to ditch the cereal bars. :o

We mainly stick to fruit, raw vegetables and rice cakes as we have several with dairy allergies.

However we did cook sponge cakes last week with dairy free spread and they were popular.

I don't know if it is the same as an allergy to gluten, but last year we had a child with that allergy and mum could get some foods on prescription. She often brought in things for us to use with all the children as we always plan our snack so everyone can have the same. I think she appreciated us doing this and not singling her child out so was happy to donate some items especially baking mix products for us to use to do baking activities.

We've had a child with a milk allergy, and didn't really find it difficult to work around.

We use sunflower or soya pure spread on our toast (and still do even though the little chap went off to school months and months ago), and we used to bake with that too. You'd need to check the packets, but we used to have hoola hoops or wotsits on party days (we never have crisps for snack!). We don't have sweet biscuits or ceral bars for snack either so I can't help there - but could the children make flapjacks or something similar for snack?

Speak to mum about what the little girl has at home - the first thing I asked when our little boy started was what he eats at home to see if we could simply substitute our snack for what I knew he could eat. So I would buy the same variety of dairy free cheese for slicing and eating, or the different one she used for cooking if we were making pizzas etc. She was able to tell me which soya milk he preferred so I knew he would always want to drink it.

Good luck - hopefully mum will be able to suggest alternatives so that you can provide a snack that everyone can eat!

we had a little boy with the same problem a few years ago and with a little guidence from mum found there were lots of things that the child could have

our children at the moment love dry cheerios and raisens

rice cakes are also popular and rich tea fingers

prawn crackers turned out to be popular

I think when you start to list all the foods the child can have it wont feel such a limiting allergy when you think how many snacks probably dont actually contain milk or cheese

has the mum tried goat milk and cheese? our little boy was ok with goats milk

we had another child with a serious allergy so we devised a sheet to state what snack was each session and asked mum to sign to say todays snack was suitable that way at least we covered our backs

Hi - don't know if this of any use, but we had a little boy who had a dairy allergy (not as extensive as yours tho, by the sound of it) and we wrote mum a list of all the things we usually had for snack (with the range of brands we usually shop from) and there was space by each food for her to say whether he was able to eat this or not, or whether he could eat it but only a certain type or brand. There was another column for her to indicate 'safe' alternatives to the things he was not okay to eat. I think if you take this time to communicate it's makes life a bit easier in the long run x

There is plenty of space to add other items. We keep a copy of this in with the childrens details and tape a copy onto the inside door of the snack cupboard so it's immediately available for quick reference. Our "cupboard copy" would just have initials as building is shared although cupboard is not x

My own child has a servere dairy allergy. I am very aware of how hard this can be. I use Pure Soya spread, check the labels of everything you have, pre packed bread is normally ok. however bakery bread often contains milk. you would be surprised what is in food, I made her very ill, just be using a stock cube. we found that it contained milk. so do some ketcups. it is even in medicine and tablets.

stick to fruit and vegetables and just adapt your cooking ingrediants, soya milk for dairy milk, and soya spread, make lovely cakes. in fact my yorkshire puddings are huge since using soya milk.

once you get your head around it its not that bad.

best of luck.

thank you sooooooooooo much for all ur help and advice. Thanks for the allergy sheet Annie-pops its fab and will find it very useful.

thanks again everyone

Kate :o

• 1 month later...

My daughter has a dairy allergy. For snacks she likes raisins, Morning Coffee biscuits, fruit, breadsticks and the Organix/Goodies biscuits which are dairy free, although they can be more expensive.

I think ginger nuts and pink wafer biscuits are dairy free but obv check the packets. Some salt and vinegar crisps and plain crisps don't contain milk, but Walkers S&V do. What about crackers with Pure spread? My DD has the Pure sunflower spread rather than the soya one as some children with dairy allergy are also sensitive to soya, so I use it to be on the safe side.

Edited by DaisyB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)