Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Super Heroes And Ben 10 Ideas

Hi

I am helping in a foundation preschool room and due to us having alot of boys and gilrs who just want to play rough and tumble and be superheroes I would like this to become part of the planning for the next few weeks depending on the children's intrest. I have spoken to the staff in the room who are quite excited to give it a go. The manager how ever is alittle unsure. I have given her some ideas from the children and staff such as making ben 10 watches and using them for tidy uptime.......lots of 10 counting, Using the superheroes as positive images that could lead on to encouraging the boys to create books, be creative, etc. I have been asked to present some medium term planning and a presentation on how and why and what the children will learn so that the manager can make a the call .

Would any body please be kind enough to share and ideas or thoughs on this theme as I with good planning and prep itwould be a brilliant opportunity for the children in our setting to follow this line of intrest. Iknow this is sometimes a contriversal topic.

Thank you

Hi bluebelle, I am experiencing the same thing in my nursery. I have set up a gazebo over the writing area and turned it into the 'Ben 10 writing den'. I bought some Ben 10 pens and pencils and printed out some writing paper with ben 10 on it. I also went onto the cartoon network website and printed out the characters and the character names, which i hung around the outside of the gazebo.

The children, including the girls have enjoyed this, and for the last 3 weeks, the boys have actually stopped playing rough...we explained that Ben 10 likes writing now and not fighting! My teaching assistants have also been impressed with how it has turned out!

I like the ideas that you have already thought of and I will be interested to see what other ideas people come up with! :o

Joanne

Last year I had some boys who were very interested in super heros. I turned it into, people who help us, as heroes and used their dads/significant male as examples of heroes too. It went very well and we had a lot of fun being firemen, policemen and the like. I made a display, using photographs of the dads and pictures that the children had drawn of their dads doing something heroic. This ranged from one who could fly to one who rescued birds. Hope this helps, maybe using the people who helps us angle might put your manager's mind at rest.

Fiona

For my writing support group (think ELS but our own tailored version) I have planned from the children's interests and have given the group the task of being superheroes to remind everyone of the school 'rules'. They created their own superhero, what they would wear, special powers, their own house - exterior and interior using pictures of futurisitic houses. They have even created their own superhero foods and drinks! Each lesson they get a letter from me in a special box with their mission - they love it!

I decided to go with the superhero thing and must admit there is less 'rough' play from those involved as they seem to be harnessing that thought into a positive way (i.e. the superhero bit). As I can't change what they watch or what is seen on TV, I have decided that I have to accept that this is what they watch and see but have to think of ways to show it's not just about fighting and focus their energies and enthusiasm positively! (sorry just went a bit OT)

Thank you for the replys.

I have just done a search on the forum and there are lots of ideas of well. I am going to set the ball in motin and put something together. In fact the two staff memebrs who I support are coming over to work on it this afternoon so the manager can see that we are all on board and want to implement it with a positive feel.

thank you again

blue

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sue

I am interested in this link but am having problems accessing it. When I click on 'this list' I get this:

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show.

Useful Links

Am I doing something wrong? This is not the first time it has happened.

Thanks in anticipation!

Devonmaid, if you would like to undertake a search of the forum for Superheroes and haven't done this before, go to the top of the page and click on the blue oval which says, Search forum posts. Then type in Superheroes at the next page and there is a wealth of info.

I think perhaps it is time to collate all this info and put it into a resources section as it is obvious that it is a huge subject which at one time or another we all plan for.

Hi

I am helping in a foundation preschool room and due to us having alot of boys and gilrs who just want to play rough and tumble and be superheroes I would like this to become part of the planning for the next few weeks depending on the children's intrest. I have spoken to the staff in the room who are quite excited to give it a go. The manager how ever is alittle unsure. I have given her some ideas from the children and staff such as making ben 10 watches and using them for tidy uptime.......lots of 10 counting, Using the superheroes as positive images that could lead on to encouraging the boys to create books, be creative, etc. I have been asked to present some medium term planning and a presentation on how and why and what the children will learn so that the manager can make a the call .

Would any body please be kind enough to share and ideas or thoughs on this theme as I with good planning and prep itwould be a brilliant opportunity for the children in our setting to follow this line of intrest. Iknow this is sometimes a contriversal topic.

Thank you

just added a few activities we did a couple of years ago, in case any help.

superheroes_week_1_1.6.09_5.6.09.doc

Found downloading pics of superheroes, laminating and sticking on the end of pencils really enticed boys to mark making area. Also made a superhero story book with a few boys where they made up own story about spiderman. adult went round setting with them and camera and took pics of where spiderman was and acted out their little story with figures. boys then mark maked the story . adult stuck in scrap book. play often got rough though with ben 10 play so tried to involve boys in the rules for when and where they could do it. great time had with balls of wool and making own webs. they covered whole cloakroom area in wool! kept loud ones quiet for a long time!

When I was in reception, my parallel class teacher did 'Ben 10', I did superheros.

We both made role plays into Ben 10 den/superhero den (this one outside) and discussed the acceptable behaviour. I did superhero movements as part of physical development. The other teacher used Ben 10 top trumps cards for PSRN numbers and sharing out the cards equally etc. I made a power point (but could be done as a book) about superheros and their powers and children then made their own superhero names and powers - could be linked to phonics with alliterative/rhyming names, e.g. super Sophie or Jumping Johnny etc.

Good luck! Its a great topic for all and really embraces their interests!

• 1 year later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

We had a topic/theme about Superheros and the children were very in to Ben 10. I had no idea what he was all about, but they soon taught me and together we learned about his super powers and his Omnitrix. We read stories from comics and I left these in the reading area and for the first time boys were sitting together looking at the annuals and comics! We had a long debate because I was not sure if he was a goodie or a baddie and the children assured me that he was working for good. We made our own Omnitrix watches and this linked in well with a maths lesson on clocks, as we compared his to a real watch and then looked at clocks and sand timers. When it came to our PE lesson I researched all the different types of aliens he turned into and created a lesson that allowed the children to become these aliens. I think we all loved it - it was such a brilliant topic to do .

Here is my activity plan for anyone that wants to try it. :rolleyes:

Activity Plan - PD Ben 10 Superhero.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)