Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Promoting Postive Behaviour

Hi

Would anyone be willing to share what rules you have in your setting and how you promote them to the children please?

I am looking to develop ours as the one we currently has does not seem to work with one particular child as she struggles to grasp that it is me who is sad with her and that is why her name is on the sad face if she hasn't been following instructions. In her eyes she is happy so shouldn't be on the sad face.

We use coloured traffic lights throughout our school (R, y1 & y2) for this very reason --ensure that behaviour and emotion are separate. Children know that their names start on green and move to orange and then to red if they do not keep to the

behaviour code. Children who reach red, usually miss a few minutes of playtime or another activity.

You could adapt this so that your child can achieve a reward if his/ her name remains on Green for a specified amount of time. I actually prefer this to the above example but different things work for different children.

She has a point! We don't use any kind of mechanism like that - just making our expectations clear, praising children's positive behaviour and attitudes, helping them to work out what they should/could have done when things go wrong, and putting things right.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)