Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation

HI all

Have been racking my brains trying to come up with an exciting lesson for my observation. I job share and my colleague whom i get on very well with and worked with for many years now always gets oustanding and i always get good we have the same TA all week. I have seen her teach and we are very simliar in our teaching ways thats why we get along !! I just want to prove that i can be just as good we have a new head so always nice to please so any thoughts ideas would be great.

Also a big thanks as i was searching forum for other wow ideas (Cait i believe sharks)I saw the shark measuring using the children which is the kind of thing i was thinking so glad it wasn't a silly idea and looked fun. I am in reception.

Thank You

observation_plan_march_forum.doc

HI all

Have been racking my brains trying to come up with an exciting lesson for my observation. I job share and my colleague whom i get on very well with and worked with for many years now always gets oustanding and i always get good we have the same TA all week. I have seen her teach and we are very simliar in our teaching ways thats why we get along !! I just want to prove that i can be just as good we have a new head so always nice to please so any thoughts ideas would be great.

Also a big thanks as i was searching forum for other wow ideas (Cait i believe sharks)I saw the shark measuring using the children which is the kind of thing i was thinking so glad it wasn't a silly idea and looked fun. I am in reception.

Thank You

Is there a book you could be using as a starter for a measuring session with the children - I quite like the story Jim and the Beanstalk - Jim has to measure the giant for new glasses, teeth, a wig, but there is always the threat that the giant might eat him in the end.

HI thank you yes was looking at Dinosaur roar on the monday and focusing on opposites hence the dinosaur theme and looking at long and short. My observation is mainly on prsn so didn't want to start looking at a book in this session can refer to it but didn't want to read it. A criticism i've had in the past is that they are sitting too long on carpet as i've treid to get all the bits in oftsed etc want to see like talk aprtners, ict etc

Apologies I hadn't opened your attachment to see the lovely planned activities you have in place already. Obviously, you can refer to and get the children to recall briefly Dinosaur Roar before your observation activity.

Was just thinking if maybe you had some community playthings blocks, the children might like to make a dinosaur model, of life-size, laying bricks on the floor, rather than standing up, to give them some idea of the scale of these giants and how small we humans would have been by comparison.

Edited by Panders

Thats ok, thank you yes was thinking HA maybe choose differnt ways they could measure the distance. I hate observations i have been teaching 12 years been observed since i started as i was the intake of 'new' teachers where you got observed from the very beginning you started your job and 4 ofsteds later you would think i was use to them!!!

Hi Eggwoman, from your lovely planning i saw that you do ERR with your children. We have just currently started teaching phonics through ERR. Although i love it and can see the improvements in the children, i am struggling to fit everything else in and my timetabling has become a nightmare as we also teach our maths through the ENR programme!!!

I was wondering if you could share how you organise your day to fit everything in.

Your planning for the measuring activity looks lovely by the way- really nice ideas

Thanks Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

HI just thought i'd say it went well. The children loved the measuring of dinosaurs outside and lying down to see how big they were - a good activity to try. Also they loved hte jumping measuring their jumps that would be good as a stand alone activity to do as a small group again another time as i had it indep they did get a bit silly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)