Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small Group Time

Hi , need to pick someones brain. We have had a challenging bunch this year , very immature , not ready till now for anything except free flow play and one to one focus activities with key workers. However we have at last reached a stage where we want to introduce into our routine small group time , with a groups of around 4/5 dependent on individuals . Im looking for some ideas of how others organise this with pre-schools where the children are in and out and have different patterns of attendance , I was thinking along the lines of a 10/15 minute slot in the session being a calm settled time where all the children participated with an adult , but that gets complicated when they are there all day and have done it in the morning or if some come 5 times a week others only 3 times - how do you all organise this ???? Dizzzzzz

Could you just vary the content of the activity? Our children all arrive at 9am and stay until 11.30, some come back in the afternoon. All the children have a small group time at the start of the session and again at the end. The content varies, beat baby, singing, story, show and tell but with the main theme running through it.

During the session the children go into their key groups for a short focused activity, for those who come to both am and pm sessions the focus is the same, obviously differentiated, but will be presented in a different way. For children who attend every morning the big circle times are always changed anyway.

I have the same issue, this year's children so different to last year when I was doing a whole group session daily! Basically 3/4 of the way through the morning I have puppet time where the puppet chooses children to come and join his special group and the puppet has a focus for the week, eg letters and sound games, carrying on a story etc and that way it doesn't matter if it's the same children as the day before or not.

At the end we have have a whole group bit with everyone, story, talk time etc.

We stop for snack after an hour and a half's free play. We have a SEAL activity after snack. Each child will do this once per week, on the same morning each week, with the same keyperson (preferably theirs). Whilst the children have this activity we have one or two other groups doing differentiated Letters and Sounds activities such as nursery rhymes for the younger children and silly soup for the older children.

Hope that helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)